• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explanation of RAM timings and CPU clocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

I'm a new OverClocker and i'm not much into overclocking, due to one reason..... i don't really understand the RAM timings and CPU clocks etc, i've got some basic idea behind it, but a nice non-100000 page explanation would be nice, i don't want to read a book and know exactly how it all runs, just an idea of how to overclock and what effects various setting will have on the system.

Anybody understand my ramble?..... All help, info, comments, abuse, its all helpful..... :D TIA

False Christian

1st of all nice avatar! Very cute and original. I have my GEIL PC3200 (DDR400-SDRAM) at timings of 4-2-2-2.0 which is killer especially at the 200x2 MHz bus I'm running at. I don't know what they all stand for but the last one (2.0) make the biggest difference. I think it is the RAS to CAS delay and the lower the better. Less latency means more memory bandwidth which is always good. Sorry I couldn't help you more.:)

Edward2

The basics...

The FSB (front side bus) speed pretty much dictates how fast everything else is going to run. Your CPU, AGP bus, PCI bus, and memory bus speeds are all based on the FSB speed. Typically your memory bus runs the same speed as your FSB (synchronous). The AGP and PCI buses are typically 1/3, 1/4, or 1/5 your FSB speed (unless you have fixed AGP and PCI bus speeds, such as the NForce2 based mobo). Your CPU has a multiplier which makes it run X times faster than the FSB. Dependind on your mobo, you can usually change all of these values via jumpers or the BIOS.

Memory timings are fairly obscure, but the general idea is that when your CPU asks the memory for data, it takes a certain amount of time for the memory to respond. That delay time is generally referred to as "Latency". Without going into all of the various timings, just keep in mind that the lower the number...the faster the setting. If you set your memory timings too fast for your particular memory, it will cause problems (BSOD, freeze, lockup, etc.).

OP
T

TeLoS

Thanx for the info FC and Ed, my mobo is an nForce2 (see sig).....

Yeah avatar is just something different, gonna have to come up with a new one though as i'm getting bored with the little fella...

Gonna do some upgrades next month (hopefully), 9500 Pro first, then hopefully get myself a Barton, so i plan to use this a tester for my overclocking......

Plan buy new CPU, keep it in box and fiddle with my current one, that way if i fry the thing i got a nicer faster one to put in anyhow......... my comp is the host computer on an ICS setup on broadband so i can't afford for it to be out of action....

Same with graphics card, gonna do some modding and OC'ing with my current one once i have my new 9500 Pro... :D

Anybody able to give links for some info regarding RAM timings and FSB..... just something simple enough to help understand what settings will have what effects kinda thing....