• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extending my network, Wireless-ly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

So to start here is my set up. In my utility room i have my modem and wireless router. I am hardwired to my main right/file server, and wireless to the two laptops wherever they are at the time. Up stairs i have a desktop in my fiances office, and soon a networked media device in our bedroom on the 37 incher. i want to add a hard wired line to the NMT atleast and possibly the desktop, if not the desktop no problem. I am a former construction electrician so i know how to run cat5 through the house (as i did it downstairs) i just finished the ceiling before i moved in downstairs...OOOPS didnt even think of hard wiring the upstairs. Question is, could i put a Wireless access point in the attic (has power outlets up there) and drop it down my cable lines i have down there and run it out of the same outlet and it'll work that way? I saw a 2 ethernet port WAP on newegg and wondering if it will work that way...

Is there any issues i would run into with this? Maybe i would need to upgrade my G router to a N or range extended router for best signal. I know some would think why not just run wireless since its going to be wireless from the attic, but i plan to buy a WAP that acts as a repeater (re increases/boosts the signal back up) then down through hard wire. As far as the craftmanship/handy work requird on this ....that is no problem i'm just wondering if i will get crappy signal/stream rates on my NMT with this method or better than just running of a wireless USB adapter to it.

thanks in advance!!!

thehacker010

So, let me get this straight. You want to have a device in your attic that will connect to your wireless network and then both repeat the wireless signal as well as supply LAN ports for you to run cat5e from the attic to your bedrooms?

That is definitely doable! You basically want a repeater bridge. This will connect to a wireless network, repeat the wireless signal, and supply LAN ports for wired computers.

One cheap way of doing this is to buy a wireless router that supports custom firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. I have personally done this type of procedure using an Asus WL-520gU. They are about $35 and they run DD-WRT very well. Other routers like some Linksys can also do this with the same custom firmware.

Maybe someone else knows a good consumer grade WAP that can do this same thing without installing custom firmware.

Last edited:
OP
ekoh

ekoh

you my friend are a genius! i never thought of doing that. bestbuy has the refurbed wrt54gs on sale for like 30 bucks. Those are pretty popular with DD WRT, tomato and open WRT. good thinking... I think i will do that..now i just have to google "how to set up a repeater bridge" lol

thehacker010

If you get DD-WRT on it, I can talk you through it. There is literally a button that says Repeater Bridge in DD-WRT.