• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extension Wiring?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

Well just started to set up my 2 pc mods baybuses (8 switches total) and only 2 of the fans power wires are long enough to reach the baybus! Stupid full tower case lol. Does anyone know where i could buy some black and red wire? And if i got some could I just use elctrical tape and tape the 2 wires together? I dont have a soldering iron nor do i know how to solder. Any replies will be greatly appreciated

Talon101

if youre going that route, i suggest the heat shrinks (the ones that you put a lighter too), they are much cleaner and you'll know that its sealed. you can get that and the wires at the hardware store. i think, havent been to the states in over a year....

Mr.DLucey

OK simple. Go to RadioShack, find some wire you like, ask to see part number 278-567 it's red and black. Check out speaker wire, I like to use that for lots of stuff. Look at the butt connectors part # 64-3036, snap connectors part# 64-3086, and wire taps part#64-3052. You can squeeze these with pliers, your suppose to use a special players but regular will work if your careful.

cack01

ALL the wiring in my case, has been done with radio shack speaker wire, and electrical tape. Heat shrink just gives it alittle extra protection, and holds together better.

electro

Soldering's easy....

Greetings-
I taught my 10yr old daughter how to solder in about 20 minutes, with a little practice she was pro in no time at all. (heheh I was too lazy to desolder some components off of a PCB, and heck she got $.10 per)
IMHO learning to solder is a must for anyone seriously into case modding. It really is easy, and with an hours practice you'll be able to do all kinds of cool stuff. I mounted 3 CCFL inverters inside the 3.5 drive bay (on standoffs/sweet) and extended the wires from the tubes so they could be routed and not be seen. Also I cut a hole (with my new Dremal WooHoo) on the backside of the PSU enclosure so I could route the power cables for floppy/harddrives/CDROM ect where they won't be seen until they actually plug into the device. All these wires needed to be extended/soldered. Butt connectors would of course work, but a solder/heatshrink joint looks much better and is electrically a more sound connection. (LOL I hate wire clutter)
I thought I saw somewhere on these forums a soldering guide, but can't seem to find it now, anyhow If your interested go to Google and type "how +to +solder" (w/o quotes) theres tons of guides, some of 'em pretty good.
Radio Shack should have everything you need: soldering pencil, solder(I prefer 0.56MM), soldering paste(helps keep the solder exactly where you want it), solderwick (for correcting mistakes), and If you can afford it a soldering vice (10/15$). Also a good pair of strippers and some 1/8 inch heatshrink. 35 or 40 bucks should about do it. If you can't afford it now certainly keep it in mind for the future.
electro's $.02 worth

garwain

Currently I'm restricted to a huge solder gun, which I find is great for working on something like say a lamp, but useless for smaller projects like fan wires (tried it, it's just too big and clumsy) I haven't got around to buying a decent soldering iron yet, but I'm thinking that would be a good xmas idea for my father... When i hooked up my baybus, I bought a set of red/green/black 24gauge wire from RS using nothing but the change in my pocket, and a roll or red electrical tape (had black tape at home) Then it was just a matter of cutting the lengths I needed, stripping the ends, then I twisted the striped ends of the 2 wires together and taped them up using the proper color of tape (looks better that way) I haven't had any problems with the setup. I'll eventually solder them together though.

RoadWarrior

Just twisting the ends together will invariably give you flakey connections within a month or sooner. Soldering is good.

However, short of getting a soldering iron, there's other methods. RS also had some little tape strips of solder that you could wrap round a joint and then apply a flame to. Those get expensive for regular use, but if you just want to do something one time, they are okay. Then there is also some solder paste that some stores have (not seen it in RS) that you just smear on the ends and can just heat with a flame. If you're getting that though, triple check it's actual solder bearing paste and not soldering paste which might just be a flux.
For lowish voltage, lowish current applications crimp connectors can be as bad as twisting the wires together reliability wise.

The thing you've got to ask yourself is, after spending $$ on fans and the baybus to protect your $$$$ computer are you going to do a cheap *** job on the wiring and have your machine roast to death one day when you're not looking?

Road Warrior

garwain

I was careful about the way I twisted my wires together, and then there is electrical tape holding them together. Tested the wires with my nice little multimeter, and re-checked them a while a couple weeks ago. When done well, even connections that are twisted together and taped will hold for quite a while. I don't really intend for this to be a permenent setup though. I just haven't gotten around to buying a soldering iron yet, and have now realized that Christmas isn't that far away.

Crazy Jayhawk

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:
i got some at radio shack. Its 24gauge 2 cunductor wire. Its wwhite and black though :( lol
The color of the wire has nothing to do with how well it conducts electricity.

Just hook black to black and red to white and you won't have any trouble.

OP
o0OBruceLeeO0o

o0OBruceLeeO0o

Crazy Jayhawk said:
The color of the wire has nothing to do with how well it conducts electricity.

Just hook black to black and red to white and you won't have any trouble.

I know, but i just like things to match :)