• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External 3.5 Enclosure that Supports 4k sectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an enclosure that supports 4k sectors or advanced formatting. I have a 5tb Seagate hard drive that I removed from a Seagate expansion enclosure after the enclosure started acting up after only 35 power-on hours. I took this hard drive and installed it in my system and archived a pile of data on it with the intention of removing the drive and putting it in a new enclosure.

The first USB 3.0 enclosure I tried was a Sabrent DS-UBLK, which apparently did not support 4k sectors as it wanted me to reformat the hard drive when I connected it. I tried an old Vantec Nexstar CX USB 2.0 enclosure and it worked great, but it would be nice to have USB 3.0 speeds instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

There's some nice ones on this page for some recommendations, cheap too. If you really want an enclosure for a single drive at least make sure it accepts larger ones (>4TB).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Rating_5+Stars&ci=8413&N=4294542361+35+235

I used to own some enclosures but they were usb2/fw as well and usb2 is garbage for hard drives. It's no wonder I no longer have them. Firewire 400 isn't great either imo.

Last edited:
Back