• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Blu-Ray Players

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Do you need a writer or just a player?

not familiar with external writers, but I dont see anything inherently wrong with that model you chose.

habbajabba

I use a cheapo external writer that came with two usb cable ends for power. I swapped the dual cable out for a proper usb3 one connected to a 4port anker with ext power. Works perfectly. Highly recommend the external m-disc burners. That asus just about oughta do it. The super slim ones like I have are too flimsy. That one is built like a tank but does not burn m-discs unfortunately. Flawless with blu-rays though.

Last edited:

Theocnoob

Do you NEED an optical drive? I haven't used mine since like 2011...
Windows can be downloaded to USB (or even bought on USB)
Movies are on Netflix and Kodi etc
TV shows are on Hulu
Games are all online (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc etc)
Drivers can be (and should be gotten) online. This is better as you will get a more recent version

There is literally no reason to use an optical drive unless you need to burn discs for someone, in which case I think that person should ask themselves why they're still using an archaic and out-dated technology. :p

JM2C

Having said that, go ahead and get a cheap little USB external optical drive if you want. They're cheap enough.

Killahurtz

Registered
"There is literally no reason to use an optical drive unless you need to burn discs for someone".....hahahahaha

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I bought an internal bluray writer, and put it in an external 5.25" USB enclosure...out of the case, and only power it up when I need it.

OP
MikeJ

MikeJ

Registered
Need it to burn my dvds and blu-rays and my music cd collection so i can put them on a NAS