• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Hard Drive Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flameethrower

Recently I noticed my External hard drive was acting up. It will at times while im playing music, Just Pause for few seconds, and resume where it left off in the song.

Or if im watching movie on the hard drive, and i pause it for a certain length of time, And resume playing, itll pause for few seconds.

Other than that nothing else happens to it or no noises.

Its the 750GB WD MyPassport USB 3.0 drive. Bought it about 8 months ago.

It came stocked with about 3gb worth of files and programs from WD so the 3.0 UBS would work. But Didnt know that till i formatted it and 3.0 Stopped working and reverted back to 2.0. Not a big deal as i dont need it to be speedy.

Copy times are still normal i have .0013 millisecond Seek time on music files still.

I dont know if its the hard drive, or a setting in windows that suddenly changed causing the hard drive to intermittently go into powersave mode

Open Power Options--> Change plan settings--> Change advanced power savings. Expand Hard disk--> Turn off hard disk after, and make sure Setting is set to Never.

I do that the first thing when setting up windows 7. And that is strictly for the Windows hard drive and wont affect the USB drives.

Back