• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

external water cooling boxh help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vietp13

ok i was wondering about making external water box, i dont really like the whole thing being inside my case, my real question is i have 120mm fan how does it work outside in the external box without using the psu, if there isnt a way what can i do to get wires to reach inside the case

You could buy some wires and make the case fans long, how far away is the setup gona be? If its right on top or under itll be easy to do!

I found a transformer at Fry's that lets you select the voltage that it provides to electrical components. I can choose from like 1.5v-12v and I believe there are transformers that go higher. But you need to make sure it provides enough amperage. So then you would have probably two wires and two tubes going in and out of your waterbox. I am currently using 9v and it is nice and quiet and no performance difference over 12v. But my box is built for two 120mm fans. All you have to do to make this work is put the red wire inside the hole and then put the black wire on the outside of the connector of the transformer and just use a little scotch tape so it doesn't fall off. Or depending where you put your box you could route a molex connector to your box.

I used a secondary external power supply and wired it up to turn on at the same time as the primary power supply. It was cheap and very small. Do a google search for a MicroATX power supply. I found one that provides 90W of power, which is plenty for a few fans and pretty lights and a fan controller.

Here's a link to a thread about this topic:

extra power supply

Scroll down until you see my entry in the thread.

MoreGooder

so you say a transformer @ frys right.. and whats the other, cause its gonna be to the right of my case

I went shopping at Radio Shack for parts to run mine off of the power supply.
One roll of 2 conductor wire (black and red), and a mini plug/socket (like a headphone plug-in with it's matching socket).

Remove one back bracket cover from the case that wasn't being used, drilled a hole in it to fit the socket's threaded end.
Solder wire to the socket's connectors, and to the cut/stripped end of the 12 volt plug from the power supply (the square one with two yellow and two black).
Measure wire that's as long as your tubing, and cut it. This one solders to the mini plug at one end, and the stripped fan wires at the other.

Now my wire is removable from the case incase I wish to move it, and my panaflo fan has a plug on it to move the heatercore if I need to. It's powered by the power supply, so it's always on when it needs to be.
Use electronic solder and flux, not plumbing solder or flux. You can get that and an iron at radio shack while you're there.

miniplug.jpg

You MUST put the outside collar as negative, and the inside conductor (center pin) as positive for this, as it grounds to the case, and would keep your system from booting if it were reversed.

Last edited:
hold up is this to vdc power cord or directly into the psu ?

I use a micro ATX PSU for my external WC unit. It's rated ~70W which is sufficient to power multiple 120mm fans. To turn a PSU on when it isn't connected to a motherboard, you need to jump pin 14 (PS-ON) to a ground pin like pin 15.

Why not go AC all the way? If you are using an AC pump, you can go with an AC fan. Radio shack has a 4 inch AC fan that blows about 65 cfm and is silent. If that's not enough, then put two in a push/pull configuration. It's easy to wire.

vietp13 said:
hold up is this to vdc power cord or directly into the psu ?

I used a leftover connector from my power supply, the square one with four pins that has two yellow wires and two black wires. That's 12 volts using a yellow and a black. My motherboard doesn't use it.

Kusojiji has a good point also, where you can just use a 120v AC fan. Then you just need to use an extension cord to plug both the pump and the fan into. Of course, a normal fan reostat won't work if you wanted to mod that in there too (don't try a room light dimmer, they won't work for an AC fan motor).

Back