• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme BlackBird: Project Raptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Born4TheSky

So... I finally pull the trigger and got i7 990x for my BlackBird and hopefully video rendering will goes twice faster than it was on i7 920. I sold my BlackBird i7 920 build very successfully, so I had enough funds to get i7 990x so it's pretty much 1:1 deal. Except that I had custom painted case and complete MDPC sleeving on it and right now its bare bone BlackBird Case.

I know that Ivy Bridge is coming, and I want it, but I need muscles right now. Also I got my first SSD which is Intel newest 510 series SSD. Its all goes on Asus Rampage III extreme motherboard. So I got bunch of toys and will be putting them together this week.

Hopefully I wont be disappointed and will be able to accomplish much more. Otherwise its a lot of money to waste and most likely will go on sale, right when ivy bridge will come out.

Parts list:

HP BlackBird case
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7 990x Extreme 3.46Ghz (water cooled)
6Gb Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz
EVGA 470 - actually thinking to SLI or Step UP to EVGA 580
120Gb Intel 510 series SSD
900w Modular power supply
650Gb HD
Card Reader
Asus DVD/CD
Asus Wi-Fi ready

Feature upgrades:

Custom paint - Maybe
Cable sleeving - in progress
Custom water loop (This is hardest task, that will require a lot of planning and customization) - Saving

photo-4.jpg

I want to give some review to every component in my system: - so that others can learn something new.

HP BlackBird: its an amazing case, its really hard to put everything into the words, but I think people here will understand me. It's very easy to upgrade and it's just unique. Even though it has some flaws, such as bad air flow for north bridge, my temperatures were ~65C, I have to add one extra fan and it's dropped to ~40C - so now I have to work on elegant solution how to mount it elegantly.
The second thing is that it comes with IDE CD/DVD drives and my new motherboard dosent have one, so I have to look for some adapters which really didnt really work well, I tried this, this and this. I didnt really find perfect solution for that... yet. I'll probably will just get this Asus drive

Asus Rampage III Extreme it's great board, it's expensive. The only complaint I have it's that it has only one internal usb connector. Also if you dont have good airflow north bridge can run a little bit high.

Intel i7 990x Extreme 3.46Ghz There is no point of getting this CPU if you are planing just gaming, you wont see any benefits. I am using it for a lot of video converting and differences is pretty much 2x faster comparing to i7 930 that I had before. I cant even imagine what its going to do when overclocked.
It's being cooled by Asetec liquid cooling kit with 240 rad, just like corsair h50 just with bigger radiator.

6Gb Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz Honestly bought it just to match my board color scheme, dont really see any advantages ... yet. Works great

1x EVGA 470 suprisingly turned our to be very quiet video card, didnt have a chance to benchmark it yet. Came with high air flow bracket

120Gb Intel 510 series SSD its a super fast, but I am still learning my way around SSD and only thing that I did so far it's changed in bios from IDE to AHCI, had some problems with freezing it out, but I think it was caused by IDE PCI adapter, removed it yesterday will see how it goes. Got 0x80070002 error trying reinstalling windows after loading defaults in bios it worked, but windows expirience dropped couple of points.

Western digital Caviar Black 650Gb HD so far didnt really have any problems with this drive.

CPU TopPower 900W its a great CPU never had any problems, and it's fully modular.

Future of this build:
1) Overclock i7 990x - one of my friends told me it's a sin to run it stock.
2) Possible cable sleeving - even though it's not worth it. You spend hours working on it, and forgot after couples of weeks.
3) Painting/mirroring the case

What else would you recommend?

Even though it's very fast system, I feel dissatisfied for the reson that I had some problems with SSD and I dont really know what to do, and I am getting very frustrated with even smallest problems.
I want to take things to the "new level" ... because this hardware deserves to run perfect.

So far this is the best system I even HAD. and I guess I will see by my reps if people like my system.
P.S. Special thanks to my wife for SSD

I will make better pictures, when I will completely will be done with a build. For now n-joy crappy iPhone 4 HDR pictures, because thread is worthless without pictures

What do you think so far? Lets Subscriptions Begin!!!

Last edited:
Pics are not showing up for me either :(

Sounds like you have a killer setup there though! :) You mentioned that you were looking at a 580. Why not go for it? You have a lot of other high end parts, you should match up the gpu to make it all high end... Thats just my opinion though, the 470 is no slouch of a card.

Back