• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXTREME case mod and ovcerclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

It's about 4:10 am, I just had this dream and I have to do it.

Okay so I had a dream about how to build an amazing cooling system. It's not new, but it I have never seen in done like this.

Basically I'm going build a computer inside an airtight box. Yes airtight. I'm going to fill this box with a non-conductive oil. ( Haven't decided what kind of oil yet, probably a cooking oil) I'm going to have a "reservoir" ( a 5 Litre bucket) of oil in my deep freeze, 6 pumps in a push/pull configuration will circulate the oil from and to the box through 6 tubes.
I don't have a definitive design yet and I have no idea if this will even work, so guys I'm asking you for help.

First: pumps. I can't use ordinary water pumps can I? If I can't what should I use?
Second: cpu and gpu heatsinks on or off?

And if you could mention any other problems or advice you have with this, it would be great. Thanks in advance.

deed

I tried this and failed but hey it may work for you :/
First make sure you keep your hardrives out side of the box or they will fail no doubt. If its airtight you still need to be able to turn it on. Make sure to test all your parts if they are working before you submerged... Ever try to rma a oil soaked video card :) Doesnt work to well haha.

I kept my heatsinks on and I also had fans running through the oil on them and didnt notice much of a difference.

If you can properly cool a large amount of oil in that box then I say go for it.... Just remember you will need ALOT of rads if you leave your computer running 24/7.

OP
Younglin

Younglin

I hadn't thought about the power switch, thank you. Also good recommendation about pretesting the hardware and keeping my hard drives out, I hadn't thought of that either. I won't be using rad's the oil will be cooled by my deep freeze.

Dooms101

Well actually... you can buy a pre-modified fish tank with a motherboard tray, pump, and radiator as part of a kit here: Puget Systems

There's actually even a retail seller of custom computers who sells a submerged computer.

As for the oil, mineral oil is by far the most popular; this is because it doesn't have fatty compounds found in organic based oils like normal yellow cooking oils and it's clear. As for what you can and cannot put in the submerged rig, fans, heatsinks, SSD's, motherboards, PSU's, and video cards can all go in. However, mechanical HDD's, and DVD drives should NOT go in.

You will also need to note that oil submersion only normalizes temperatures to a certain degree unless it itself is cooled. If you go the traditional route of just submersing everything in a fish tank and filling it with oil, everything in your system will run at the same temperature. Traditional watercooling components will not work, you will need extremely large HSF's for anything that needs cooling with or without a fan. I suggest looking at what kind of parts went into that DIY kit.

OP
Younglin

Younglin

Well actually... you can buy a pre-modified fish tank with a motherboard tray, pump, and radiator as part of a kit here: Puget Systems

Although this is the general idea of what I'm trying to do, I'm leaning on something a little more extreme. And I have already said the oil will be cooled in my deep freezer and pumped into and from the tank.

P.S. I do fully intend to carry through with this and try to get some extreme overclocking out of it but I recently lost my job and there is no way I could afford starting this build. But when I do start it I'll be sure to upload pics and specs of the system itself, whether in this thread or a new one.

Bobnova

I would not use a freezer. For starters most can't take a sustained multi-hundred-watt load without burning up, and for bonus points you're very likely to freeze the oil.
Just use a radiator, that has been proven to work fine.

Oil, while certainly extreme, isn't a very good extreme overclocking medium. There are a few threads around here.

OP
Younglin

Younglin

I would not use a freezer. For starters most can't take a sustained multi-hundred-watt load without burning up, and for bonus points you're very likely to freeze the oil.
Just use a radiator, that has been proven to work fine.

That's why I need an oil that won't freeze, I was thinking about a antifreeze/mineral oil mix. Anyone know if anti freeze is conductive? I remember something in chem about it, but can't recall it right now.

OP
Younglin

Younglin

I just wonder if any normal pump will circulate such a viscous (esp cold) liquid...

I am also worried. I will have 6 pumps, but even with all of them I don't know how well it will work. Hence why I asked for suggestions on pumps. I need to find something powerful enough to pump cold oil, but doesn't sound like a lawnmower and run up my electricity.

Bobnova

Antifreeze is conductive, i tested. I was hoping i could just submerge everything in antifreeze.

For oil, your only real options are very, very lightweight oils. Diesel, for instance.
The difficulty there is that the lighter it is the more flamable it is, and often the lighter it is the better solvent it is, too.

dyckah

Antifreeze is conductive, i tested. I was hoping i could just submerge everything in antifreeze.

For oil, your only real options are very, very lightweight oils. Diesel, for instance.
The difficulty there is that the lighter it is the more flamable it is, and often the lighter it is the better solvent it is, too.

lol @ a diesel chilled computer..