• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme or heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bongo

yeah, im really curious about this too!!
Im kinda leaning towards the extreme blacl ice II, but I really cant say anything cause im pretty new to H2O cooling.

REally interested in other responses!!

Aesik

Actually heater cores don't cool cars, they warm the air for your heater. While this does do some limited cooling of the engine, the bulk is done by the radiator.

A Black Ice is nothing more than a glorified heater core. I can see no way to justify their cost personally.

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

Thanks. Just wondering why they cost so much. Paying for the name????
Now of someone would reply to my other thread about making an evaporator out of my maze2-1...........

technician

I just got my Black Ice Extreme in the mail, it looks very nice :)

The reason (and the only reason) I got it was because of the size. I want to make my watercooling setup entirely contained within the case so I can transport it around. Otherwise, the price just doesn't make any sense.

Haddy

Registered
Maximus Nickus said:
A Heater Core has much more cooling potential, they cool cars afterall.

If you can get hold of one.....;)
acctually no....they are almost exactly the same....oh and the reason u pay more is bcause its painted...it has a low pressure drop mod on it and plus its just kick *** and anything kick *** is usualy pretty costly...oh yea and ur paying for the fittings they put on...so basicly unless u have all the stuff needed to change the fittings on a heatercore (jbweld, hacksaw, ect...) the the bix is a good deal..got mine for 68 bucks here http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...Store_Code=C&Product_Code=BIX&Category_Code=R

zoopa_man

I just went down to auto zone here in NY to see what kind of funny looks i could get when i asked for a heater core that was "yay big" *holds up his hands. The guys there asked what kind of car it was for and I brewed up some story of how i was using it to cool a highly experimental electrical setup I had that was cooled by water and a pelter. Basically tried to BS my way out of telling them it was for my computer with out saying that. LOL Anyways..it worked and they pulled out a 6 inch by 4 inch by 2 inch thick heater core !! $20 bucks and a big grin and it was mine. now all i need to do is get some JB weld or just solder on some 3'8 barbs and i'll be all set.

I can't see spending so much for the black ice products. There just not all that amazing. there for suckers that can't jerry rig their own home brew setups. Or those who are fearful of water and electricity....Me....i'm the last kid out of the pool when the lightning strikes :D

Shroomer

member with no avatar
So far I have not found a heater core that is the same size as the BI series. People buy them because they are small. If you want maybe 2c better temps, then a heater core is your best bet (or are on a budget). The black ice just looks better and will fit in most cases. It is a shame they cost so much, though.

technician

Like everyone has menionted, some people want the size :)

I know for my experimental setup I will be cooling externally, so a heater-core will work nicely. For peeps going to LAN parties and the like I can see why the BlackIce Extreme would be a must-have.

OP
CharlesHF

CharlesHF

I'm actually thinking about cooling my computer through refrigeration, but no one's replying in my other thread, except me, asking people to reply! I was asking if I could turn my Maze 2-1 into the evaporator in a refrigeration cycle, so if any of you outhere want ot answer.............

With this question, personally, I'd rather have a heater core. I'm planning on getting a full size case eventually, so it wouldn't really matter. Personally, I like to show off my system, and I've noticed that usually, bigger parts tend to impress more than smaller parts.

futura2001

Buy or steal the heater core off of a Subaru Justy or some other extremely small, shoebox like J-Car. They are small and cheap (unless you stole it) and also very effective...
Futura

tft

You can even go down to a radiator shop, where they specialize in reparing radiators, and heater cores. I got my heater core (used) from one of these places for $10. Actually I had my choice between all the heater cores(used), and most of the used radiators for ten bucks. You just have to clean them up yourself.

Haddy

Registered
zoopa_man said:
I can't see spending so much for the black ice products. There just not all that amazing. there for suckers that can't jerry rig their own home brew setups. Or those who are fearful of water and electricity....Me....i'm the last kid out of the pool when the lightning strikes :D
pretty bold statement u got there....so we cant jerry rig huh, thats just a sack of horse ****...btw its not that u have fear, its what u do with it

Al666

Yo Zoopa find me a heatercore looks this good, eh?

BI_Coolmetal.jpg

BTW I got the chrome plated BI Xtreme Rev. 2 that even looks better from cooltechnica.com

and Black Ice Xtreme is not a heatercore it's a radiator:burn:

I have no further comments :D

Last edited:

Haddy

Registered
Al666 said:
Yo Zoopa find me a heatercore looks this good, eh?

BI_Coolmetal.jpg

BTW I got the chrome plated BI Xtreme Rev. 2 that even looks better from cooltechnica.com

and Black Ice Xtreme is not a heatercore it's a radiator:burn:

I have no further comments :D
=) ill trade u for my shiney new black bix rev 2 what cha say??:p :p

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
My Heatercore's fins are rather bend around the edge which i find is the only problem when you get one.

Oh and no Heater Cores don't cool cars Radiators do:rolleyes: So where can I get myself one:D

i2fast4u

Registered
what are we thinking, Heater cores come in all shapes and sizes. and Painting them is not a good idea, as the paint will keep the heat in the core so that it will never leave the water, so basicly your system will have to run hotter to dissapate that heat you are holding in from the paint. and if you really need it custom, see your local Auto radiator repair shop, they can help you out more than any pre-built cooling system and they can even get it to fit where you want it.