• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[email protected] and futuremark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drop-Top

I was just curious about a few things. I have been folding for about 6 weeks now, not really worrying about it, just letting it do its thing. I dont' know much about the program, just that it uses idle clocks (i believe). Just wanted to know why my 3dmark and PCmark scores have gone down since I installed. Nothing else has changed.

slater3333uk

They will go down a small amount because FAH will still use a miniscule amount of resorces when it is idleing. However the change is so small its unnoticible in real world apps and games. If your running benchmarks then just stop the cliant and restart it when you finish. I mean the differance is only a few 100 points isnt it? nothing to worry about :)

OP
Drop-Top

Drop-Top

yeah it was about 350 points, I really don't care about the benchmarks, I was just curious cause I have been putting it on a ton of comps lately telling people they won't notice a difference in performance and when I saw my numbers drop, I was a little concerned.

actong

Registered
Actually, I think if you have hyperthreading, running [email protected] will affect the performance of games, benchmarks, etc. The OS still schedules [email protected] to run because it sees two cpus. There was a thread about this in the f-c.org forums, but I can't find it now. I think they said it'll happen on windows xp as well, even though it supposedly is aware of HT, though I don't know for sure since I don't have a HT-capable machine running windows.

actong

Registered
Found the thread.

Well, I was just pointing out that you might see a bigger performance loss on HT-capable machines than on non-HT machines. Whether it's noticeable or not is subjective, but I think the performance drop is sizeable enough that some people might consider it noticeable.

Last edited:

stan03

priority is already set to the lowest, but i can notice a difference with folding on and off during games, and when i borg people computers i let them know.

stan03

ya if i play americas army i loose anywhere from 5-10 fps and so do two of my friends.

OP
Drop-Top

Drop-Top

o ok, so I am just going to have to live with a little loss. no biggie, I a man, it is my mission in life to "cope and deal."