• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Factory-bent pin on brand new 3900X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sprucemoose

I just received my brand new 3900X CPU today. I've been waiting weeks for the store to get it in stock, so I was quite excited. Now, I took real care to handle the CPU gently during installation, but I noticed that it wouldn't fall into place in the socket as it should. After examination, I see that one of the outermost pins are bent. If it had been due to rough handling by me (which it wasn't), I would expect more of the pins nearby to be bent too. So I firmly believe that it was factory-bent. Not too eager to wait for the RMA process, I gently bent it back with a scalpel blade. After un-bending, the CPU fell into the socket as it should. I haven't tested it yet as I'm waiting for my RAM to be delivered tomorrow, but should I worry about this? As long as the pin is intact, things should be ok...right?

BEFORE:
DSC03312-2B.jpg

AFTER:
DSC03313-3B.jpg

You should not be concerned. Unfortunately this happens fairly often. Straightening the pin is the correct procedure and it seems you have done so appropriately.

Enjoy your new beast!

Moose,

Most likely your concern is unfounded. Quite a few slightly bent pins in multiples have been straightened with no adverse conditions. With that said hopefully you won't prove me wrong when you get it setup and running. :thup:

Nice job!

Thanks for the quick replies. Good to hear that I shouldn't be concerned about this. I'll boot the system when I get the RAM sticks tomorrow, and I'll see if I can do some benchmarking and stress testing. Passing Prime95 for a couple of hours should verify that the chip is intact, right?

@trents, a good suggestion, but I don't think so. The sticker/seal on the side of the AMD box was unbroken, and I had to cut through it to slide the lid open. It looked completely untampered with.

Your fine. I had a bent pin on mine but that was from when I pulled it out of the socket with my waterblock.

Hope you got a good one. Here's Mike's daily oc on a high-end loop. I can push it higher but at 4.7ghz she really starts to crank out the heat. But I been stable to 4.8 on water

https://valid.x86.fr/2z6ftf

Back