• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAH client setup for Win 98??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ-5

ChasR: Almost any computer running 24/7 will have a high enough performance fraction to qualify for big packet assingnment. You must report >240 MB of ram (as I recall), have FAH5.xx, and have big WUs enabled. You can't have Win9x. I've been folding 600 pointers on a 800 MHz p3 for 100ppd.

So, just what are proper client configurations for a Win 98 OS? :shrug:

Apparently BP=no is one. :(

What about client type and advanced methods? :eh?:

Last edited:

walaka7

AFAIK You must use client 4.0 with win98 which has no option for BP, but other flags can be used: -local -pause -oneunit -advmethods -forceSSE -forceasm -config -configonly, etc. If you run one client, then -advmethods (and perhaps -forceasm) should be fine. If using multiple clients then run -local -advmethods (and perhaps -forceasm) Its too bad there isn't support for win98 anymore in folding as win98 systems produced more due to lower overhead and smaller hard drives could be used for dedicated rigs. I had a 540 MB fireball running stripped win98 and it folded just fine. Only problem was if it crashed then the wu got corrupted almost every time

dwschoon

The version 5 client will work in win98. The problem is that if you turn on bigpackets and get a wu like the p147x or 1481, the client crashes. I think I read somewhere that win98's memory management is the problem. I think that the 600 pointers will fold ok, but there is no way to exclude the ones that crash. I use the version 5 client on all my win98 borgs, but with no bigpackets.