• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fake Lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Can any of you tell me if there is a way to do a fake lan? Like I would like my friend to be able to just click and browse some folders that I set up and he do the same for me. Any ideas?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Your going to have to explain your situation a little better. Do you mean that you want to browse windows network shares over the internet?

If so, then just map TCP and UDP ports 137-139, and TCP 445 (security hazard). Then from the other computer, run (or create a shortcut) to \\yourExternalIP

OP
T

ToiletDuck

Basically. I lived with all 3 of them last year. And we always had a network where we would host games and stuff for each other when we got bored. Now I know you can run servers and all that junk but with all the games we have it's just fun to be able to send a pm on msn and then host one and everyone join up.
Duck

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Lan for Games?
Uh.. if at all possible, try playing them online, instead of LAN.

If that's not possible, you can look into setting up a VPN, but that may be laggy, depending on the game, of course. You would want one person hosting the VPN server, and the rest of you connect to him. It basically creates a virtual LAN between you that is encrypted.