• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fallout 4 Gaming Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stupid me... I didn't know the i5 6600K comes without a heatsink/fan!! This is the first time I've ever seen a RETAIL CPU package without a cooler. Call me dumb, or just unaware of what goes on in 2015. I was wondering why the box was so small...
Looks like I'll have to spend extra money on a cooler. Had I known, I would have gone with the non-K version.

Stupid me... I didn't know the i5 6600K comes without a heatsink/fan!! This is the first time I've ever seen a RETAIL CPU package without a cooler. Call me dumb, or just unaware of what goes on in 2015. I was wondering why the box was so small...
Looks like I'll have to spend extra money on a cooler. Had I known, I would have gone with the non-K version.

For what it's worth you'd have seen the same thing if you bought one of the amd fx chips iirc.

from what i can read around, I think I would wait on the gpu, from reading about it's looking between the 970 and the 980.
if manny does not have what you need for a heatsink, pm me, god knows i wrecked plenty of haswells so i have a few stock heatsinks.

He lives 5 minutes away from me CD, he stopped by today and I gave him the stock heatsink off my 4770k that I've never used. It should be just fine for a 6600k stock.

from what i can read around, I think I would wait on the gpu, from reading about it's looking between the 970 and the 980.
if manny does not have what you need for a heatsink, pm me, god knows i wrecked plenty of haswells so i have a few stock heatsinks.
Thanks, but already installed the 290X. My buddy is achin' to get this machine!
He lives 5 minutes away from me CD, he stopped by today and I gave him the stock heatsink off my 4770k that I've never used. It should be just fine for a 6600k stock.
Except you put me through hard labor trying to fetch your cat! ;)

What the!!!
The 290x doesn't fit in the case because the cooler extends beyond the PCB. I'm using a mid-tower (Coolermaster Storm Scout) case. This is horrible!!

Is that the original Storm Scout, or the new version? The new one has more space for a GPU (up to almost 12" if I remember right).

I had the original, and while it's a decent LAN case, it's kind of a hot box.

Is that the original Storm Scout, or the new version? The new one has more space for a GPU (up to almost 12" if I remember right).

I had the original, and while it's a decent LAN case, it's kind of a hot box.
Original. I added 2x 120mm to the side.
That was my form of payment. :D

Anytime you want to let go of a gaming rig for cat duties (pun intended), please let me know.

I don't know if it's the SSD, the RAM, the CPU, or the combination of it all, but man is this machine SNAPPY!!!
(6600K, 16GB DDR4-2800, Samsung Evo 850 250GB)

I handed over the rig to my buddy last night. I know he's dying to play FO4 on it. He better get a high def monitor!! I think he's running a 22" or 24" so my guess is he's on 1680x1050 or 1080p. Eww!!

Right now I'm playing on [email protected] ( just because I run almost all tests at 4.2GHz ) , 2x4GB DDR4@2133 ( I forgot to change after some tests but it's 3333 kit :p ) , GTX960 ITX @stock ( boost to 1300+ or something ) and game automatically sets max details ... also runs without issues. OS is Win10 and monitor 1920x1200.

I think it would run decently well, but as of right now the game doesn't have proper multi gpu support. So I imagine you can get a steady 60fps if you are at 1080p and don't max out everything (especially god rays )

This sucks.
My buddy said the machine blue screened twice today during Fallout 4.

I love it when I do a favor in building a machine for no $$ and it bites me in the behind!!!

I'll have to diagnose a minidump if there is one. What's typical... DRAM voltage/speed?

Back