• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan choice for SP-94

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I pretty much have it narrowed down to a few choices. I want good performance (looking for better temps than my current Zalman Al/Cu heatsink) but I don't want a screamer or tornado in my case. Given the choices I've written below, I think I can put up with up to 35dba, but not a whole lot more preferably (although I did use to run two 49dba fans in my case, but I did get sick of them after about a year.)

Sanyo Denki 92x32mm- http://sidewindercomputers.com/sanyodenki92mm.html Pretty good cfm vs. noise, and I'm figuring that the extra thickness would provide a good amount of air pressure on the heatsink.

Panaflo 92x25mm High Speed- http://sidewindercomputers.com/pa92hisp.html Pretty much the same stats as the above fan, but with the Panaflo name that everyone loves :p The hard part would be finding this fan in stock somewhere.

Thermaltake 92mm Smartfan II- http://sidewindercomputers.com/th92blledsmf.html Seems to be a popular choice around here, and I like the ability to change the speed. I definitely would not be running it at max rpm, that's too noisy, so hopefully a medium-ish speed would give good results. Blue LED's are pretty :p

Enermax 92mm Clear Speed Dial- http://sidewindercomputers.com/92clearulwit1.html Same nice speed changing ability as the TT fan, with (apparently) less noise- and a lower max cfm. I read in a post somewhere that this fan can have a whine to it, but the max dba is definitely lower than the TT with ~10cfm loss.

Chaos Being since you are trying for quiet and this will be a HS fan you need to consider the amount of pressure the fan can generate as much as airflow. Just because it is a quiet case fan doesn't mean it will be a good choice for a HS. I do like the TT SFII. Thermaltake may not do everything right but they did a good job on their fans. I'm running 8 of them in my case now. :D

well, i am not satisfied with my adjustable ennermax. Sure its quiet, but the pressure is crap. I am considering a nado+sunbeam rheobus or the SFII. That fan would get my vote if a tornado+fanbus isnt an option.

EDIT: i tried my friends tornado on my heatsink and it droped my load temps by more than 5*c at max speed (i was never able to test it with a fanbus, but i do have noise canceling headphones and i find headphones are usually better than speakers for games so that might be the best option for me)

NovaShine said:
I got a 92mm delta for mine. It's not that loud as it's the thinner version of the delta, but it cools just fine.

Panaflo 92mm, 59cfm -bx......get the best.

Well that throws the Enermax fan out of the running. Does anyone know where I can find information on the pressure generated by the Sanyo Denki fan and the Panaflo? Neither is listed on the retailer's website, only the pressure info for the TT Smartfan.

Alrighty, I did a little google searching today and found my answers.

Panaflo @ 56.8cfm, 2850rpm, 35dba = 3.98mmH20 or 39 PA of pressure

Sanyo Denki @ 55.1cfm, 2900 rpm, 36dba = 5.08mmH20 or 50 PA of pressure

Thermaltake LED Smartfan: @ 24.6cfm, 1300rpm, 17dba = 1.3mmH20 of pressure
@ 78.7cfm, 4800rpm, 48.5dba = 7.2mmH20 of pressure

So I think that narrows it down to the Sanyo Denki or the TT fan for me. If I can figure out an equation that would give me the pressure of the TT fan at an equivalent noise level to the Sanyo Denki, that would really give me the answer I need. I need to think more, and not in the morning like I am trying to do now :p My gut feeling at the moment though is that the Sanyo Denki is going to be the performer.

Am I going too much in detail about this? Heck yes I think, but I always like to over-research parts before I purchase. And I'd like to hope that my info searching may help another forum member sometime :)

I have been planning on the Panaflo 92x25mm H1A for my SP-97 but by those numbers I am seriously considering the Sanyo. Anyone have a comparision between these two?

rack04 said:
I have been planning on the Panaflo 92x25mm H1A for my SP-97 but by those numbers I am seriously considering the Sanyo. Anyone have a comparision between these two?

Well most Sanyo Denki's are made to last a long time and have dual Ball bearings that are vastly superior to Panaflo's Hydrowave bearings. (Hydrowave bearing is a fancy name for a Sleeve bearing, but Panaflo's Sleeve bearings are superior to most other Fans using Sleeve bearings. Sleeve Bearings are very quiet, but are not as durable as Sanyo's Ball dual ball bearings)

Ok! It's later in the day and my brain is awake, so I did the math.

At the same 36dba as the Sanyo Denki, the TT fan pushes 57.5 cfm at 4.85mmH20. That is compared to 55.1cfm at 5.08mmH20. The difference in cfm is negligable, but that is a more noticable increase in pressure for the SD over the TT fan.

In case anyone is curious, I just did a little subtraction to find the difference between the max and min cfm, dba, and pressure of the TT fan and then used those numbers to make fractions.

Given that the Sanyo Denki fan is cheaper and has superior pressure for a very small loss in cfm, I am going to purchase the SD fan :) I'll be sure to post results when I install it with my new heatsink. I'm also planning on adding an exhaust blowhole to the top of my case, and an additional intake in my drive bays like this mod: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=216579&highlight=blowhole Wish me luck!

I would have recommended a 92mm Delta HHE, 71.69 cfm, 3200 rpm, 42.5 dBA (can't be accurate as it's only mildly louder than my 92mm Panaflo H1A), 4.2w, .35 amps. Don't know the pressure, but 38mm thick Deltas are known for high pressure. I think this is a great fan, and it really isn't as loud as it's listed specs would lead you to believe. BTW, mine has never run over 3000 rpm, which may account for decreased sound level.

Are you sure you're comparing the same things? Isn't the Sanyo fan a 38mm fan compared to a 25mm Panaflo? A 38mm fan will always create more pressure. You can get thicker Panaflo's as well if you really need the pressure.

But is pressure important? I think it only comes into play when there is significant air flow resistance. But that isn't the situation here so the most important considerations are air speed and noise level. Air speed is responsible for cooling (not pressure) and low noise levels keep you sane. A super long lasting bearing isn't very important either because in a few years you will want a different setup anyway.

The panaflo is particularly quiet given it's air speed.

Last edited:
i have the panaflo 92x25 and it is cooling nicely. However time will be the true test. And I haven't began overclocking yet. My CPU is at about 37,38 on default speed.

Is this fan a cooler ??

NovaShine said:
I got a 92mm delta for mine. It's not that loud as it's the thinner version of the delta, but it cools just fine.

Is this fan a cooler ?? Can you tell me how you modded your case ?? I've got the same one !! I've been thinking about dual 120s in the back and front, at about half speed !!

BL

Yeah, I was comparing the 38mm SD to a 25mm Panaflo. Pretty much what my goal here was to compare a lot of the quieter fans among the favorites that I found mentioned here among the OC Forum users. The Sanyo Denki I threw in there because I literally stumbled across it, and thought it would be a good performer. I haven't seen a lot of people using a fan like it, so it will be interesting to see what sort of results I get! And if anything, it only cost $10 and I can always use another fan, somewhere...

I would have recommended a 92mm Delta HHE, 71.69 cfm, 3200 rpm, 42.5 dBA (can't be accurate as it's only mildly louder than my 92mm Panaflo H1A), 4.2w, .35 amps. Don't know the pressure, but 38mm thick Deltas are known for high pressure. I think this is a great fan, and it really isn't as loud as it's listed specs would lead you to believe. BTW, mine has never run over 3000 rpm, which may account for decreased sound level.

That's interesting, I saw that fan and didn't even consider it because of the high dba level. If my Sanyo Denki doesn't give me the sort of performance I am looking for, maybe I will try one of these. I have high hopes though.

Back