• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller for Smart Fan II's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inositle

I'm getting ready to buy four of the Smart Fan II's for my case and a fan controller.

Right now I'm looking at the Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller, and I was just wondering if the controller needs to be able to handle a certain wattage to handle the SM II's.

Thanks

bk94si

If you are going to use a fan controller, why pay the extra for a fan that has a controller already included? Buy some tornados or sunons or panaflos.

@md0Cer

bk94si said:
If you are going to use a fan controller, why pay the extra for a fan that has a controller already included? Buy some tornados or sunons or panaflos.

Well, the reason for the SF2's is that they are very efficient fans. According to TT's spec's, the SF2 has a very high CFM to noise ratio. Even better than the Panaflo's. See my little chart thingy below. Also, if you wanted to save some money, I’m sure you could mod your case somehow to get the TT rheostat (fan speed controller) to stick out by the fan so you don’t have to open the case to adjust the RPM.

Sunon 80mm Ball Bearing Case fan,Model:KD1208PTB2,OEM.
Max Pressure: 0.17 Inch H2O
Nominal Speed(RPM): 2900
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 39.0
Noise(dBA): 32
CFM to noise ratio: 1.22

Panasonic Panaflo 80mm Fan,Model:FBA08A24L1A,OEM.
Max Pressure: 1.57 mm-H2O
Nominal Speed(RPM): 1900
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 24.0
Noise(dBA): 21.0
CFM to noise ratio: 1.14

Vantec ''Stealth'' 80mm Case fan,Model:SF8025L.
Nominal Speed(RPM): 2050
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 27
Noise(dBA): 21
CFM to noise ratio: 1.28

Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II.
Max Pressure: 1.45~8.43 mm H2O
Nominal Speed(RPM): 1300~4800
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 20.55~75.70
Noise(dBA): 17~48
CFM to noise ratio(min. rpm): 1.21
CFM to noise ratio(max. rpm): 1.58

Vantec ''Tornado''80mm System fan,Model:TD8038H,Retail.
Nominal Speed(RPM): 5700
Max Air Flow:(CFM): 84.1
Noise(dBA): 55.2
CFM to noise ratio: 1.52

I got this info from newegg. And calculated the CFM to noise myself.

Anyways, these results aren’t exactly accurate because the CFM and noise are the manufacturers claims and it seems as though the faster the fan spins the more efficient it is in CFM to noise as noticed by the SF2 because you can see it has both for min rpm and max. I myself have a SF2 and it has been great, it can move a ton of air at high rpm, and at lower rpm's it is quieter but still moves enough air. Also, I can control it with the rheostat that comes with it so I don’t need a fan controller. Even though the SF2 is one of the better fans IMO, the panaflo's and vantec's and sunons and stuff are still pretty good fans.

Last edited:

SunRedRX7

Because you might also have some lying around, or you might want to have them all controled via one central control panel on the front.

bk94si

Sunon
Model: PMD1208PMB1-A
Dimension: 80 x 80 x 38mm
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.76amp
Power: 9.1W
Airflow: 84.1CFM
Noise: 55.2dBA
Speed: 5700rpm
Bearing: 2 ball
Connector: 3+4 pin w/ rpm sensor

I have a SFII. I just find it rather annoying in pitch.

@md0Cer

bk94si said:
Sunon
Model: PMD1208PMB1-A
Dimension: 80 x 80 x 38mm
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.76amp
Power: 9.1W
Airflow: 84.1CFM
Noise: 55.2dBA
Speed: 5700rpm
Bearing: 2 ball
Connector: 3+4 pin w/ rpm sensor

I have a SFII. I just find it rather annoying in pitch.

Yes, that SF2 whine. It drives me nuts. Although my old one had it, but my new one dosen't! It will only go to 4800RPM though but at least at the lower RPM's it dosent whine. The old SF2 had that whine but it overvolted itself and hit 6000 RPM's if I wanted it to.