• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller vs SmartFan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I am looking for a fan controller that allows you to set up automatic fan control dependent on temperature as in SpeedFan.

From what I have seen though, they just let you manually adjust the fan speed, and monitor the temperatures of certain probes.

Also, how do you attach these probes, and where do you put them?

Finally, I would like a controller that monitors the power consumption of the pc like the top end Zalman one does.

Any ideas or recomendations?

pwnmachine

I have 2 fan controllers for a total of 8 controllable fans. I love it! I have preset fan speeds for gaming and idle. I couldn't imagine not having that kind of control.

The probes are simply stuck to the area you want to monitor with stickies.

Also fan controllers are amazing for cable management. I hate those bulky molex adapters.

get this bad boy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992004&cm_re=sentry-_-11-992-004-_-Product

however you have to see if it will look good with your case. Since they can sometimes just look fugly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998063&Tpk=scythe server
I have two of those, since I don't really require other types of monitoring (I use my g15).

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

Do they just let you set a fixed speed, or do they monitor the temperatures and adjust the speed as per speedfan app?

pwnmachine

Do they just let you set a fixed speed, or do they monitor the temperatures and adjust the speed as per speedfan app?

There is a auto setting which changes the rpm according to temperature but tbh it doesn't really work to well. However I just have to two settings which I use, 1-high rpm for gaming 2-low rpm but still sufficient airflow for idle or moderate tasking.

x509

It's my keyboard, the Logitech G15 it has a lcd display which I have customized to display my temps, voltages , cpu usage whatever you want! I use LcdStudio to make custom templates.

That's great, pwnmachine. What software do you use to drive the LCD display? LcdStudio? Also, which version of Windows?

Thanks.

x509

Randyman...

FWIW - The newer version of Speedfan seems to work good enough for me to actually use it's automatic fan speed. Speedfan's Asus MoBo support has really improved over the last 2 releases. I used to have knobs and crap all over my case to control my fans - now, my front panel is sleek and clean, and I let Speedfan keep it quiet for free :)

:cool:

x509

FWIW - The newer version of Speedfan seems to work good enough for me to actually use it's automatic fan speed. Speedfan's Asus MoBo support has really improved over the last 2 releases. I used to have knobs and crap all over my case to control my fans - now, my front panel is sleek and clean, and I let Speedfan keep it quiet for free :)

:cool:

Randyman,

Speedfan sounds (no pun!!!) like the right solution.:D Only concern is whether it can handle multiple fans off one motherboard control.

Also, do you aircool or watercool? I'm planning to watercool my next build. Would there be any way that you could put a temp sensor in your reservoir, for example, and measure that temp with speedfan? :confused:

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

The motherboard issue is my only problem, it only has the cpu plus one other power connector that can be controller.

To get over this I use a 3pin splitter cable and plug my 2 top case fans into the controlled socket. I plug my lower case fan into a Zalman Fanmate controller and leave the control box for that round the back of the case, so I can turn it up if needed, usually it's on minimum setting. I then plug my GPU and side fan into another Fanmate (with another splitter).

Its a bit of a mish mash - but it works :)