• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan controllers with standard sensor chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Does anybody make USB or PCIe x1 fan controllers with standard sensor chips (e.g. ITE, Nuvoton, Winbond) that can be software controlled with standard Linux sysfs knobs? Corsair Commander is AFAICT very much NOT standard. My Scythe controllers are nice, but I'd like to play with software control, and the motherboard only has 3 extra headers. I don't want to put 3+ fans on each one, and I also want individual control. I don't even really need the sensor part of the chips, just the bits that let me adjust the PWM frequency as I can with the CPU and GPU fans.

Does anybody make USB or PCIe x1 fan controllers with standard sensor chips (e.g. ITE, Nuvoton, Winbond) that can be software controlled with standard Linux sysfs knobs? Corsair Commander is AFAICT very much NOT standard. My Scythe controllers are nice, but I'd like to play with software control, and the motherboard only has 3 extra headers. I don't want to put 3+ fans on each one, and I also want individual control. I don't even really need the sensor part of the chips, just the bits that let me adjust the PWM frequency as I can with the CPU and GPU fans.

I just had a heck of a time dealing with the CORSAIR documentation (or lack thereof) to change the pre-dongled configuration of their H150i triple radiator, so I can relate. The BIOS, for some reason, defaulted to the slowest fan speeds of 400 RPM with NO RESPONSE to increased heat loads! What kind of default setting is that for a high-end cooler??

Anyway, I am on Windows 10, and I had to download their iCUE software to get the type of control I needed (fan speed set to vary as a function of reported core temperatures) after I rewired the fans to the motherboard.

There MIGHT be a Linux Equivalent of iCUE out there that might make your task easier. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back