• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Duct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tobbe

This is my first post, and I hate to start by asking a question but...well well...here we go...

I plan to buíld a Fan.Duct in my case, but I'm not really sure how to design it. Any help, suggestions or links would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Torbjorn Virdung, Sweden

Tobbe, it all depends on where you want to place your fan's. if you use standard 80mm fan's, 3" metal ducting matchs up just nice and is easy to cut.
take a look at my site the link is on the left under name, you will find picture's of what I did with a side case fan. :)

Ok, thanks alot.

From what I can see on thoose pictures you only lead the air from the side of the case onto the CPU-fan, and let the air then be "spread out" in the case. Is this enough you think, I mean, when overclocking doesnt the MB-temp also need to be lowered?

The reason for asking is that I cant get my 800 TB over 950, enev though the temps onf the CPU should be ok (I have tested with a worse fan at 950 and then the temps were higher then at 1000).

So now I think I need to lower the temp in the whole case, so any tips about how to do this. Just mounting several inblowing fans in the bottom and several outblowing at the top of the case?

Thanks for all help, oh mighty overclocking-gurus:)

/Tobbe

I am planning on building a Fan duct to vent the hot air directly from my cpu to the back of the case and out. I am going to order a new peltier one of these days and by doing this it will insure that most of the hot air will not be pumped from my cpu into my case. I have all of the aluminum to do just got to get off my ***.

as for case temp, my board says it's 28c, which isn't
to bad. in that setup there is a fan bringing air in the front bottom and then you have PS fan + 1 other on rear top or PS fan on rear top + 1 other on top blowing air out.
to duct the heat sink both in and out you would have to use a square heat sink and duct it on the sides like this.

All I'm planning on doing is venting the hot air out from the cpu. I'm not going to run fresh air in to the cpu as well. I dont have that kind of room. besides I have a 3" fan in my drive bays blowing air into the case over both of my harddrives. So there is some air intake on the top already. I also have a 3" fan in the bottom front of the case for intake too.

With my peltier my system temp. hovers around 36c, Where as my cpu temp is only 26c at idle. This is with my 50w peltier. So getting the heat created by using this peltier out of the case should lower my case temp quit a bit.

I'm venting the heat from my cpu directly out of the case and my system temp went down 10 C to 19 C and my cpu is nice and cool at 37 full load also I'm not using any other fans except for the psu

I just made a half *** duct out of cardboard just to get an idea of what the results would be. With that alone it lowered my system temp down to around 29c. It also lowered my cpu temp about 5c while under a full load.

Tobbe (Mar 02, 2001 02:08 a.m.):
Ok, thanks alot.

From what I can see on thoose pictures you only lead the air from the side of the case onto the CPU-fan, and let the air then be "spread out" in the case. Is this enough you think, I mean, when overclocking doesnt the MB-temp also need to be lowered?

The reason for asking is that I cant get my 800 TB over 950, enev though the temps onf the CPU should be ok (I have tested with a worse fan at 950 and then the temps were higher then at 1000).

So now I think I need to lower the temp in the whole case, so any tips about how to do this. Just mounting several inblowing fans in the bottom and several outblowing at the top of the case?

Thanks for all help, oh mighty overclocking-gurus:)

/Tobbe

Did you up your voltage at all? If your temps are good then try that.

Back