• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan in or out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

try it one way, check your temps under load
switch it around, check again
stay with whatever one is lower :)

but most people have it blowing into the heatsink

Section8

They are designed to blow into the heatsink, towards the CPU. That being said it depends on how the rest of your airflow is inside your case. I would try it both ways but I would bet that the way it is supposed to be will work best, into the heatsink.

mantrogo

Yes and no. Most heatsinks are designed to have air blown down into them, but not all. Also, there can be quite a difference depending upon the exact layout / thermal properties of your computer.

For instance, if you've a nice hot graphics card warming up the side of your case opposite your mobo, could be you'd be better off drawing (relatively) cool air off your mobo, then blowing it out into the case, rather than blowing air pre-heated by your VGU onto the HS.

Before anyone tells me that that won't happen, their's works brilliantly or whatever : the above is just trying to make the point that all set-ups are different, and your best bet is to try it both ways and see.

That being said, most heatsinks are designed to have air blown down into the middle and then exhaust out the sides.

OP
V

Venom908

Registered
mantrogo said:
Yes and no. Most heatsinks are designed to have air blown down into them, but not all. Also, there can be quite a difference depending upon the exact layout / thermal properties of your computer.

For instance, if you've a nice hot graphics card warming up the side of your case opposite your mobo, could be you'd be better off drawing (relatively) cool air off your mobo, then blowing it out into the case, rather than blowing air pre-heated by your VGU onto the HS.

Before anyone tells me that that won't happen, their's works brilliantly or whatever : the above is just trying to make the point that all set-ups are different, and your best bet is to try it both ways and see.

That being said, most heatsinks are designed to have air blown down into the middle and then exhaust out the sides.

very good point about the vid card...my 9700 aiw can scramble eggs...so im gonna make it face away from my mobo and have it blow into my case and let my case fans exhaust it

mantrogo

like I said - don't prejudge!

When I got my Swiftech from SilenX with a prepackaged SilenX fan on it, I initially thought "Pillocks! They've put the fan on the wrong way round" : the fan's label was pointing out; Swiftech designs have the air blown in; and my other SilenX fans all have the label on the exhaust side.

*ahem*

Turned out that the reason that I saw no temp difference between the Swiftech and my old AMD stock HSF was that I was the pillock - they had put the label on the opposite side to usual, so when I turned the fan around it was blowing out into the case.

I turned it back round blowing down into the HS, and hey presto, temps dropped like a stone.

That's with a 9800pro that does the games AND cooks the steak at the same time! ;)

Always worth an experiment!