• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan noise ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Was playing Metro 2033 Redux and noticed my Strix just started making a weird noise like something stuck in the fans or a sped up Geiger counter which stopped when i exited the game, managed to narrow it down to between 60%-70% speed. Restarted Windows, opened case, cleaned, closed it back up and is still making the noise, any tips ?

She's ~9 months old (bought new from Amazon), should be way too young to have fan problems :bang head

^ This ^. if you've got a dusty case, then your fan is goo'ed up. Give it a good cleaning with electrical cleaner and lube her up

Never lubed a GPU fan before to be honest, and she's got 3. But again she's 9 months old, she shouldn't have this kind of issues right ? this wasn't a gradual noise start, it wasn't there 1 second and then started off. Time to catch up on video manuals (and get in contact with ASUS just in case), thanks peeps.

No wires anywhere near it and only does the noise between 60%-70%, ill post pics tomorrow morning, you might see something i missed :thup:

No wires anywhere near it and only does the noise between 60%-70%, ill post pics tomorrow morning, you might see something i missed :thup:

Look behind the fan, in the GPU heatsink shroud, and see if you notice anything hitting in there.
My comment about talking to ASUS is because you're in warranty. Lubricating a fan is incredibly easy, but no reason to if you can still RMA.

Look behind the fan, in the GPU heatsink shroud, and see if you notice anything hitting in there.
My comment about talking to ASUS is because you're in warranty. Lubricating a fan is incredibly easy, but no reason to if you can still RMA.

Sorted ty all, there was a piece of... something between the fan and shroud, removed it and is back in business :thup:

Called it.. not a wire, but still... have to check for that obvious! Glad it was an easy fix!

Back