• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan on right side panel? Why basically noone uses one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaolin95

Hi!
I was wondering if it will help at all having a fan on my right side panel. I know there is not much to cool on that side but perhaps it can help pull out hot air somehow. Any ideas?

swimmer_01

Registered
If you have nothing to add, don't post. Calling people dumb will not get you far, this is your only warning.

nikhsub1
Forums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Because of heat maybe. :p

Don't laugh. Some boards get pretty warm back there behind the CPU socket.
(* - see thermal images in posts lynked below)
When you think about it the area between the board and mounting panel is dead air.

All I can say is that my CPU socket load temps dropped significantly by placing
a small fan back there. It didn't help with CPU die temps obviously. And I wasn't
able to squeeze any more from my system with the backside fan.

Whether this mod is worth your trouble is a matter of opinion. Yet I think we
can all agree that lower temps are seldom a bad thing.

[ edit ] - More threads on this subject :

* Space behind zif socket *
* Intake behind the motherboard? *

Last edited by a moderator:

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
I have a fan on the right side of my case it is mounted right behind the CPU socket on the MB. It is a small 80 X 15mm fan and while it doesn't move a great deal of air it moves enough to allow air flow behind my MB and help keep things cool. Did it allow me to OC any higher? No, but it does keep an often neglected area of my rig cool and give me a little piece of mind.
It was a little bit of working cutting both the side panel and the MB tray to make it all line up properly. Let me see if I can find a picture or two of it and I will post them tonight.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Here is a pic it is not very good but you can still see it.

NewCase3.JPG

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Nice post as always EC.

Below are a couple images of my backside fans.

1st we have a small 50x15mm. Even that little one had a significant effect on socket temps.
BTW ... that thin fan was employed so I could attach it to the removable
mobo tray itself so the whole thing could be easily removed.

2nd is a project in progress. The removable motherboard tray has been chopped
to enhance airflow. The removable tray allows more clearance than usual back
there so for this I will be using a 120x25mm fan attached to the side case panel instead.

P. S. - thanx for taking out the trash swimmer. ;)

Attachments

• back50mm.jpg
    back50mm.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 83
  • back.new.jpg
    back.new.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
OP
S

shaolin95

Excellent feedback..thanks for the pics.
Electron Chaser, regarding that Delta 220CFM... I currently love Deltas too and have them all over my case, inlcuding my ram cooling (2x40mm delta at 16cfm each). I wanted to get that 220CFM delta but since it uses more than 1amp....do I need to be worried about that? Do I have to do something different to hook it up?
Regards

PS Thanks to the Mod for acting so quick cleaning up the thread. Really appreciated! :)

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Depending on which Delta 220 CFM Fan the GFB or the TFB either can easily be powered by a 4 pin Molex though depending on how the GFB is wired you may need 2 4 pin molexes to run it.

clocker2

shaolin95 said:
Hi!
I was wondering if it will help at all having a fan on my right side panel.
This concept has been kicking around here for nearly two years now.
I think my first posts were about the amazing benefits of motherboard tray fans and the debate has been ongoing.

I think it was more effective on socketA boards then the newer models, although I did see an improvement when my nF4 northbridge was fanned from the rear. I've since dropped that fan as I went to water (and figured out how to put a block on my DFI northbridge), but as noted above...it won't hurt and may prove beneficial, so why not?

mortimer

shaolin95 said:
Hi!
I was wondering if it will help at all having a fan on my right side panel. I know there is not much to cool on that side but perhaps it can help pull out hot air somehow. Any ideas?

No pre-cut hole on my case. Potential cabling issues. Little perceived gain (air movement vs. noise).

Happy13178

Registered
shaolin95 said:
Excellent feedback..thanks for the pics.
Electron Chaser, regarding that Delta 220CFM... I currently love Deltas too and have them all over my case, inlcuding my ram cooling (2x40mm delta at 16cfm each). I wanted to get that 220CFM delta but since it uses more than 1amp....do I need to be worried about that? Do I have to do something different to hook it up?
Regards

PS Thanks to the Mod for acting so quick cleaning up the thread. Really appreciated! :)

Just don't plug it into a mobo header, if it should happen to have that connector. You'll want to plug it into the PSU directly...as I recall, it's 2.94 amps. I've got an extra one I was playing around with for a while...just doesn't respond that well to undervolting. Haven't tried on a 60mm I've got here...something to try later, methinks...

papercutout

yeah, go for it if you can fairly easily.
i'm getting a coolermaster jet 7, but bundled with is are 2 aero blowers, and i'm thinking about doing it to one of them.
with certain motherboards (mines a socket A) it'll help with keeping the cpu a teensy bit cooler, and even if not, it'll potentially help by providing more air movement in an area that would otherwise build warm stale air.

RangerXLT8

I modded a fan to cool the back side of my cpu socket on my P4C800D board and it dropped temps a few degrees C.

Placing the fan in the lower font area(corner) of the right side panel and have it blowing in, will provide some extra cool air blowing into the case. Just make sure you have a fan in the back pulling out the hot air.

stool

As this has been ongoing, I will only mention what I have done... On older rigs, I used to do a cutout on the back of the mobo tray(where I could fit one), an hook up a 40mm fan to cool the back of the CPU socket. On my present setup I am using a 50mm blower attached to the mobo tray that puts air behind/or around the cpu without cutting up the tray. I have had consistantly low temp readings on the CPU which I partially attribute to this practice.