• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan speed control question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fsujustin33

Registered
i have a sunon tornado 80mm fan that runs @ over 6000rpm...it is LOUD, and I want to install a rheostat to control the speed at which it runs....

the fan runs @ 9.1W ...most of the rheostats I see on websites only support up to 5-6 Watts..... the link for the fan is below

any suggestions as to where I can find the proper equipment for this?

i'm a total noob when it comes to this, so any suggestions on technique would be appreciated!

Thanks!
:beer: fan specs

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html

the thing is, you want a fan that resists less power than the fan puts out, because then you would have the option of turning it off completely. i have that same fan, and thats same rheostat, it brings it from full speed (6000 rpm) to a quiet 4000 rpm or lower...which makes it blend in with the other fans i have in my case..and with this rheostat, you can simply mod the front of the case with a tiny hole, and have it accessable for whenever you need it
http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/DSCN0664 (Large).JPG
http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/DSCN0714 (Large).JPG
thats how it looks in my case

OP
F

fsujustin33

Registered
so does it not matter that the rheostat you recommended is rated for 6W/.7amps while the fan is rated at 9.1W/.72amps?

I figured this would be hazardous to overload the switch, as I can not afford to melt my case.....

also, the power connection seems like its on a short cord for that rheostat, did you have a hard time getting it to reach your fan cord?

where did you get your HS and how well does it work? I am running my sunon fan on a volcano 7 HS....i have been told this is a bad idea, but i can not afford to run out and spend $40-50 on a sink right now....i gotta pay for school etc. 1st......

OP
F

fsujustin33

Registered
also...

check this out real quick....

rheostat idea

i noticed he used a resistor....now please forgive my nubness here, as i only took WOODshop in middleschool, not electronics :rolleyes: ...... is the resistor only to facilitate the LED light he installed? thats what i gathered but i wanted to make sure

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
naw, your case will be fine. i have had zero problems with it...because if you get a more powerful one, you can run the risk of accidentally turning the fan off completely..which would be bad

Wangster

Official O/C Santa Ferret
I just installed 3 Vantec Tornado fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust) in my Lian Li PC-60 case and it sounds like a windtunnel! Is there a single-control solution that I can plug the fan rpm detection sensors into in order to control the speed they are running at or is that what the system board is suppose to control?

rustymaitland

fsujustin33 said:
i have a sunon tornado 80mm fan that runs @ over 6000rpm...it is LOUD, and I want to install a rheostat to control the speed at which it runs....

the fan runs @ 9.1W ...most of the rheostats I see on websites only support up to 5-6 Watts..... the link for the fan is below

any suggestions as to where I can find the proper equipment for this?

i'm a total noob when it comes to this, so any suggestions on technique would be appreciated!

Thanks!
:beer: fan specs

congratulations on experiencing the noise of a TORNADO!!!!
this fan is a tornado. same fan.

OP
F

fsujustin33

Registered
thats exactly what i was going to suggest...it can handle the wattage the baybus's can't.....i went ahead and purchased one rheostat from SidewinderComputers.com per RangerJoe's advice....i'm still nervous as to that wattage running through it, but i figured he doesn't have EIGHT stars by his name because he's a moron! true...true....

for now, as I wait on the USPS....i sit....smoke a bowl...and try to ignore the "WHIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!"