• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan speed showing at 50%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I have a thermalright SK-6 with a Delta 80mm fan that is supposed to run at 5000+ rpm's but the system is saying the fan speed is only about 2700.

Any ideas? Should I plug it in elsewhere to see if I can boost up the speed?

Thanks in advance,
Wedo

New member of the Overclockers.com Folding team! (which is why cooling is becoming a question :D )

Arcane

Registered
i'm hoping that you didn't plug it into your motherboard...usually it would just kill your mobo...if that's where it is plugged in, i'd unplug it immediately, and strap that sucker onto your psu...although, none of my fans run at spec...i just learned to live with it...:p

Arcane

Registered
actually...you should be able to get those adapter @ any computer or electronics store...i.e. compusa, circuit city, or even a local pc store...heck, they're about $1.25, take a drive!

OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Thank you guys for the input. I dove into my computer last night and realized a couple of mistakes.

1) The fan is not an 80mm delta, I have three of those spinning elsewhere, but the fan on the thermalright is the stock upgrade fan.

2) It is plugged into the mobo, but I thought it was supposed to be, do I still need to get it off the mobo and use a three to four pin adapter?

3) I switched the fans around last night and dropped my load temp 12C! I had the fans arranged so poorly my load temp (tested load temp by [email protected]) was around 52C. I switched the fans, cleaned them up a bit, moved some cables, and after folding all night my computer's load was 39.5C.

Thank you for the advice,
Wedo