• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Vibrations Making Me MAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

Ok so ive had this problem ever since i got the 92mm enermax adjustable fan...is this just me or does this fan vibrate like no other?!?! ever since i put it on top of my slk900a, the case has been making these loud-azz vibrations and its been driving me insane!!!

it just basically sounds like two-pieces of metal hitting each other really fast...really annoying

i need to know what kinda stuff will stop these annoying vibrations

i was thinking of THIS, it looks like it would do a pretty good job of stopping them, and i was thinking of putting it between the fan and the heatsink so the setup would be like this - fan - anti-vibration dealy - heatsink

or i could mount it ontop of the fan so the clip are touching it

does anybody else have some ideas on what i should do? let me know what yall think

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Seems like your one step behind me,Bro. Get this Panaflo like mine at www.digi-key.com Enter Item# P9760-ND ,,,,,You will need to get a rheostat or wire it to a control of some sort. I already tried the little speed adjuster knobs that come on the adjustable fans.They don't work,properly.I went to Radio Shack and bought a 20 Ohm 3 watt Rheostat and wired it in to the +12 volt side of the curcuit. If you need more details let me know.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Strida

You could try small rubber o-rings for a cheaper solution than that giant rubber thing.

Is the metal sound coming from the fan hiting the HS? IF so, you must have accidentally messed up in restraining the fan to the HS b/c my SLK hugs the fans pretty tight.

<sarcasm>Those vibrations must be reasurring being that your HS is attached directly to the socket.</sarcasm>

clocker2

Daliman,
I tried a kit which had two of those fan gaskets and a gasket for the PSU as well.
Useless.

Sounds to me as if your fan is way out of balance somehow.
Perhaps a nick on one of the blades?

Try removing the fan, setting it on one edge and powering it up.
It shouldn't "walk" around.
If it does, try replacing the fan with a different one and see if your problem doesn't disappear.

blkgti

clocker2 said:
Daliman,
I tried a kit which had two of those fan gaskets and a gasket for the PSU as well.
Useless.

I've had pretty good luck with the Vantec vibration dampeners used with the intake and exhaust fans. Granted, they didn't make a night and day difference, but they did eliminate some of the noise and vibration. I'm actually expecting the PSU gasket to arrive sometime tomorrow.

clocker2

blkgti,

Perhaps you will have better luck.
I didn't really think I had a vibration problem to begin with, I was offered the kit to try out.
Also, with my Xaser case, the PSU not only bolts through the back casewall, but also rests on two cross rails, so any vibration would be transmitted through them too.
Really, the only place where I can see fan vibration being an issue would be on large, flat expanses of sheetmetal, i.e. the sidepanels.
The front and rear panels ( typical fan locations) have enough stiffening ridges that I doubt that they vibrate too much.

blkgti

clocker2 said:
Also, with my Xaser case, the PSU not only bolts through the back casewall, but also rests on two cross rails, so any vibration would be transmitted through them too.

I have a silimar issue with the Lian-Li PC-75. I figured that I'll try to dampen the PSU, as it sits on its (for the lack of a better term) plate with some thin rubber washers. If that doesn't work, I'll try Sorbothane, as I happen to have a sheet sitting around.

Really, the only place where I can see fan vibration being an issue would be on large, flat expanses of sheetmetal, i.e. the sidepanels.
The front and rear panels ( typical fan locations) have enough stiffening ridges that I doubt that they vibrate too much.

I used to think so, too, until I completed the Lian-Li build. In conjunction with a Sunbeam fan controller, the case is so quiet that any noise/vibration is easily identified. After installing the anti-vibration gaskets, the only two noise issues left are the PSU and the HDD. I bought a Seagate from the Classifieds to try out, as its supposed to be very quiet. Well see.

OP
dalilman52

dalilman52

yes actually, i know that it is the fan's problem i unplugged it and the noise went away. the noise is coming from the side panels because the top and right panel are riveted onto my case, not screwed on, and they are not on very secure

silverdisc

Registered
going mad

dalilman if you want to stick with that fan you could try some deadsheet its a dense self adhesive bitumen type sheet available from car part shops here in the uk comes in packs of 12"x8" sheets, you can cut it to any shape then stick it inside youre panels to dampen the sort of vibration you describe and hopefully stop you going mad

wannaoc

A cheap and easy way to cancel out fan and psu vibrations is go to Lowes or HD and look in the "faucet repair" isle. Where all the small parts are there are little rubber o-rings that I use and work great. The smallest ones fit around a standard fan screw perfect. You get 10 or so for $2.00 if I remember right.

OP
dalilman52

dalilman52

LOL how ironic...i just came back shopping at HD a while ago w/ my parents....and we just bought some new faucets...that really blows but im using it on my HS, not on the case, the thing for the sinks wont work very while, i think that thing i linked to at directron would work the best, nad i dont wanna use that thing on my side panels, id rather get rid of the problem at the SOURCE, not fix another problem being caused by it