• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fancontrollers: Multiple channel controllers with temperature inputs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Olper

Hi,

I have yet not found a multiple channel (~10 ch) controller, that has temperature sensor inputs and adjustable speed/temp graphs. I'm not really interested in shiny front panels with touch controls. I would prefer USB-connection to motherboard and computer software to monitor and configure the graphs.

Aquaero (5 LT) is pretty good, but expensive, yet does not have nearly enough channels to support a large build with 10 or more fans.

You can of course use wire splitters to gain control of many fans, but I would prefer independent speed adjustment and gaining speed information from all fans. These features you lose with splitters. If you have a couple of same type fans running from the same supply, only one of their speeds is monitored. Iif you want to run a fan at extreme low speeds, you will need RPM signal to verify that the fan is still spinning. It is propable when running at extremely low speeds that some fan will stop spinning before another.

Another thing that people are worried about is the PWM control that hard switches the 12V line on and off at high speed. 3-pin fans should be voltage controlled and 4-pin fans should receive constant 12V and logic level PWM signal to the appropriate pin. But most controllers don't do this right!

What is the best fan controller these days? Is there anything better than aquaero?

Build your own with Arduino?
Well, yes. I am planning to :D
Not with arduino, but another microcontroller. But if there is a good one for sale, I won't.
Actually I have already made a 10-channel prototype with microchip PIC just to test an analogue circuit I came up with. The circuit uses microcontroller's PWM to control voltage regulation, so the fan receives steady voltage instead of crap-pwm.

What fan control method do you prefer?

Nobody have any opinions to which (active) fan controller is currently the best and why?
C'mon guys :D There's no wrong answers here. Just good and bad answers xD

What's wrong with using 2 (or more) controllers? I grabbed a 4port phobya from modmymods with temp leads but have yet to use them. I tried the software based nzxt grid+ and what a nightmare that was. I now have a digital display with knobs (5.25 bay). Way better than that crap nzxt sells. Plus on new installs I keep full control unlike with software which needs an os to boot from. Only my aio pump gets plugged to the cpu header, obviously.

Last edited:
Hi habbajabba,

thanks for your input. I would rather have all in one controller and setup the one device by a windows app.
Could you identify further, which phobya controller do you have? I looked up modmymods, but there were so many controllers.

grid+ looks like a nice controller, but it lacks features. Most importantly it does not support external temperature sensors at all. Also the speeds are controlled with 5% steps, which to me sounds poor. The software seems cool though. What was it about the setup that made it a nightmare?

Is your current 5.25-bay controller a static controller with speed monitoring? So that you set up a static fan speed and thats it?

Back