• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fanless vid card? or just a cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

so im debating on something. i currently have a evga 7300GT. i really have no complaints about it. i dont do any gaming other than some n64/ps1 emulators, possibly ps2 emulator in the future if they get better. anyway, the heatsink on this card is small, and its probably the noisiest part of my machine now. ive looked at possibly upgrading to a fanless 8600GT. asus and gigabyte had some nice looking cards on newegg. or do you guys think i should just stick with the card i have and throw on a fanless cooler. i have good case airflow (antec 900) so i dont think it will be a problem, but i have no problems adding a large slow fan to it.

this is the vid card i have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130024

the cards ive looked at were these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121098
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121077

probably some more i cant find now. so basically im looking to keep cost pretty low (sub 100 would be great!), keep power consumption low (currently have a q6600 OCed to 3.5, with 5 hard drives, dont want to upgrade PSU just yet, i may be pushing it as it is with only a 550w). and fanless.

any ideas/recomendations would be great. not sure if this is in the right spot, i put this in nVidia because im only looking at nVidia cards (plays nice with linux).

Niku-Sama

if you dont do any thing really intensive i would just go out and buy a S1 or a S2 cooler. probally an S2 though, cheaper and would cool your card pretty well

OP
G

gsrcrxsi

oh yea forgot to mention that id rather have a cooler that doesnt stick out off the card 2-3inches. i want to block the least amount of slots as possible.

Hazaro

oh yea forgot to mention that id rather have a cooler that doesnt stick out off the card 2-3inches. i want to block the least amount of slots as possible.

S1 takes 1 slot, making your card take up 2 slots. Passive should be more than enough for you card.

OP
G

gsrcrxsi

what about the s2? newegg doesnt have the s1, but does have the s2 for 20. does the s2 only take up 1 slot as well?

meionm

Aerocooler is nice. You can use it on high end card with 120mm running 5v or 7v and will be nearly silent.

OP
G

gsrcrxsi

picked up the S1 v.2 :) thanks guys. i was sketchy at first, but i realized i can use this on pretty much any vid card i plan to upgrade to in the future too. and i should be able to run this passive now.

OP
G

gsrcrxsi

well i got it today and installed it. fit perfectly. idle temps used to be 49C, with the new cooler FANLESS im sitting at about 35C and with the side panel fan in about 33C. this cooler is great :). could be a tad shorter though. it blocks one of my SATA ports and i had to remove the top plastic to fit the side panel fan. otherwise im loving it! thanks. i might even pick up an s2 for the HTPC. it has a 7200GS fanless card, but it runs super hot (like 80-90C)

Hazaro

well i got it today and installed it. fit perfectly. idle temps used to be 49C, with the new cooler FANLESS im sitting at about 35C and with the side panel fan in about 33C. this cooler is great :). could be a tad shorter though. it blocks one of my SATA ports and i had to remove the top plastic to fit the side panel fan. otherwise im loving it! thanks. i might even pick up an s2 for the HTPC. it has a 7200GS fanless card, but it runs super hot (like 80-90C)

Glad I have another convert, that makes it 15 or something now :)

OP
G

gsrcrxsi

im impressed. i mean the amount of surface area i added with the new coller over the old was substantial, so i expected a temp drop, but not such a drastic drop when moving from active to passive cooling :). i really like that it only takes up 1 extra slot. and i can use this on pretty much any card upgrade in the future.

next step will be an orochi so i can run the CPU passive :). we'll see how it likes a 3.5GHz quad lol. if i need air over it ill duct my 200mm over it. im trying to increase performance while decresing fans/noise.

Hazaro

im impressed. i mean the amount of surface area i added with the new coller over the old was substantial, so i expected a temp drop, but not such a drastic drop when moving from active to passive cooling :). i really like that it only takes up 1 extra slot. and i can use this on pretty much any card upgrade in the future.

next step will be an orochi so i can run the CPU passive :). we'll see how it likes a 3.5GHz quad lol. if i need air over it ill duct my 200mm over it. im trying to increase performance while decresing fans/noise.

imo too much weight.

If you do get it, use supports.