• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fanless watercooling solution possible without external radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosi2801

Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has ever thought of (or has experience with) an all -in-one watercooling solution without an external radiator.

My idea is not to an as-cool-as-possible system but a low(or no-)-noise-system.
(Of course also as cheap as possible :D)

To summarize it:
Is it (theoretical) possible to to keep following components alive with a passive (without fan) radiator or similar heat-exchange-solution inside a big tower case?
- CPU (AMD TB 700)
- Geforce3 Ti200
- Power Supply
- 3 HDD's (all at 5400 afair)

I doubt that this is possible without any fans but who knows. (Perhaps we have some very creative heads in here)

Another point I've thought of:
I've searched through the forum for some threads of self-made radiators and how well they perform but haven't found any. Can anyone point me to threads/articles/links concerning with self-made radiators?

lebe0024

no. You MUST either have your case open, or some exaust fans running. Think about it this way: No matter how many watts your processor puts out, that heat energy that that is continually radiating from the radiator HAS to go somewhere (perferably, OUT of the case).

Toysrme

See my comp on in the Cooling page. I can run without a fan blowing air through the radiator, but only because I have negative case air pressure.

It can be done, you just have to have alot more air blowing out than in, that way air will simply just be sucked in the case through the radiator.

The simple trueth is that we can't get something without giving. In that no matter what we cool with we must expend some energy to get rid of some. Be it fans, pump, TEC or phase change.
(unless you have a C3 in which case all you need is a heat sink)

-Toysrme

cack01

If you build a radiator/heatercore or possibly a coil of copper/brass pipes than leave that out side your case, the it is possible. Eighter way, it will need to be outside your case, inorder to let a small breeze take the heat away. If your looking for a no noise solution, then a resivior is your best chance.

If you want all this to be in your case, then your going to need fans cooling the radiator. Atleast 1x120mm or 2x80mm.

This is your best chance for a zero fan setup: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1011/

OP
K

Kosi2801

Possibly with a copper radiator on the backside or top of the case and let convection do it's work?

cack01

Kosi2801 said:
Possibly with a copper radiator on the backside or top of the case and let convection do it's work?

Thats the only way I can think of to do it. You won't get stellar temps, but a few have done that. I would get a heater core though. Mostly b/c they have more fins, and surface area.

SkiFletch

yeah, its possible. I ran my comp without a fan on my radiator for a couple months. then again, I have an enormous radiator, but it worked. chip was a Tbird running at 1644. and the temps were around 54c idle 58c load... only fan on the box were the two on the PS. since then, i've added a single low speed fan with a shroud over it, and dropped my temps to 37c idle :D gotta love huge radiators...

coldmop

Registered
consider a chimney style, get a big loose rad and mount it about 3 feet above the proc horizontal in a chimney, tight fit, and leave about 3 feet of chimnney above. This air column should achieve a
nice draft that could easily be sufficient. Don't think you would want a super stong pump, just nice, in a closed loop the pump is at zero lift.

Rakk

I'm in the process of designing & building a (hopefully) zero fan setup myself. I've almost finished the design and have started building some of the wooden (yes wooden) parts - i'll post pics and more info when i'm ready :)

OP
K

Kosi2801

consider a chimney style, get a big loose rad and mount it about 3 feet above the proc horizontal in a chimney, tight fit, and leave about 3 feet of chimnney above.

I don't want to have to build a chimney on every LAN-party I travel to :cool:

Perhaps I should consider one large silent fan though :bang head:

Rakk

Yeah, this is my backup plan too - I hope to passively cool my radiator and i'm not overclocking to the extreme but I may have to resort to putting a fan or even 2 fans onthe radiator.

For quiet fans have a look at the Panaflow 120mm low volume rated at 30db with 69CFM or the Papst 4414FL ball bearing 26db 55CFM. Both operate at around 1600-1700 RPM and are pretty quiet.

OP
K

Kosi2801

Don't forget that I want to cool not only the CPU but also GPU, HDD and PSU (if possible).

Ok, I think I could live with two noise-sources in a case (pump + Papst-fan)

Rakk

Don't forget that I want to cool not only the CPU but also GPU, HDD and PSU (if possible).

The trouble with trying to cool the whole lot like that is the size of pump you'll need. Assuming you use a fairly large radiator as well you'll need something pushing at least 1200 l/h possibly even bigger and that means yet more noise.

If I were you i'd just stick to water cooling the CPU & GPU with a modest sized pump & rad and then build a passive HDD solution like the one seen here. Just my opinion though :)

lebe0024

dont think that you need a lot of noise to get a lot of performance out of your WC system. Mine is virtually silent. I only have 2 VERY VERY quiet 80mm fans (one is PSU fan) and one VERY quiet 120mm. I have to put my ear up to my case to even hear it.