• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED FANS 101: Going Scientific.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just to complement this nice thread with another basic laws & formulas when working with multiple fans on their attributes like noise, cfm, static pressure and etc.

PS : If the text looks fuzzy, click the bar above the image to have full sized view.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Originated from my long forgotten thread HERE. :chair:

I'm a bit surprised to not see any Yate Loons mentioned...that name gets thrown around a lot.

What fans would you recommend for a Black Ice Xtreme 120x1 and a Magicool 180x1 rad?

Yate Loons are alright, probably most Price efficient.
but they are not on my top end list.

is yours the one with 20 FPI? I find that radiator to be one of those that gets extra performance when coupled with a powerful fan. ie. It is not meant to be a quiet radiator with just 1 quiet fan, put it in that set up, your radiator won't be at peak performance.

as witness from this report from skinne lab as well.
GTX360_HeatLoadChart.jpg

which is consistent with the learning that higher FPI radiators needs stronger fans to 'harvest' their power. in other words, you will need Push/Pull to get the best outta it. I will recommend you to use SlipStream 1900 RPM on both sides. With this fan, don't just use just pull or push, as this fan has relatively weak static pressure, and NEEDS to be in push/pull to get that phenomenal CFM through. Once in push/pull config, it is probably one of the better setups for 120mm x 25mm. Noise wise I find acceptable, I use PWM to control the fans, so it usually runs very quietly.

Last edited:
updated my fan recommendation to include AP-30 as a choice after modification. I have recently did mods to AP-30 and AP-31, with PWM control, these fans are totally recommended, think of it as the AP-15 x 2 power. It is NOT that quiet at 100%, but that's why you want to mod it, once PWM modded, at 50%, it is very quiet, and capable of moving a lot of air, better than many models at the same speed.

Excellent thread bluezero...thank you! So...quick question...if using high FPI radiators but can't run a push-pull configuration due to space limitations, would the Cooljag Everflows be the best choice for decent pressure, CFM and reasonable noise level? The Reeven's look slightly better but you're right...tough to find here in the US.

Anyway...thanks again for the great fan thread.

PS- Love your pc setup! Upgrading my cpu this week so hopefully will be able to catch up to you in few benchies ;)

for high FPI rads, you NEED a fan with strong static pressure.

FYI
AP-15 1850 has around 2.04mmH20
Cooljag 2400 has around 3.26 mmH20

so yes, it will perform well there. but the cooljag isn't the quietest fan out there. but I find the noise acceptable, especially if you have it as a 'push' fan inside the chassis. the Cooljag also has PWM control, so you can down speed it most of the time, making it in fact, very quiet.

when u say high FPI, I am assuming 25-ish FPI.

if you have one of those REAL dense rads, then you might want something more serious. There ARE 120x25 fans out there with 9.0mmH20+ out there. so you know. :) but we talking around 44 dBA+ and long hours of exposures to those fans is not recommended. :) (at the least, PWN mod it if possible. )

for high FPI rads, you NEED a fan with strong static pressure.

FYI
AP-15 1850 has around 2.04mmH20
Cooljag 2400 has around 3.26 mmH20

so yes, it will perform well there. but the cooljag isn't the quietest fan out there. but I find the noise acceptable, especially if you have it as a 'push' fan inside the chassis. the Cooljag also has PWM control, so you can down speed it most of the time, making it in fact, very quiet.

when u say high FPI, I am assuming 25-ish FPI.

if you have one of those REAL dense rads, then you might want something more serious. There ARE 120x25 fans out there with 9.0mmH20+ out there. so you know. :) but we talking around 44 dBA+ and long hours of exposures to those fans is not recommended. :) (at the least, PWN mod it if possible. )
Thanks bluezero! Thinking the XSPC RX rads so seems like the Cooljag's the way to go. 44dBA+ x n gets pretty loud imho.

Model THA1248BE by Delta the current leader of 120mm fans, Its what I use, and would always choose. Sure it isn’t for everyone since it runs at 48v, but with 318 CFM, 78.50 mmH20, 3.090 In H20, 7600 RPM and 72 Decibels. There is no other 120 mm fan that comes close. See my video which shows some of its strengths verses two other fans.

funny someone just posted this.
for the last 2 weeks, I have been volt moding my fans, and trying to archieve higher CFM while keeping it quiet. I bought a Mag-lift fan, absolutely no noise, and I am seeing how I can weaponize it.

I will see can I post some results if I get anything worth talking about. :)

funny someone just posted this.
for the last 2 weeks, I have been volt moding my fans, and trying to archieve higher CFM while keeping it quiet. I bought a Mag-lift fan, absolutely no noise, and I am seeing how I can weaponize it.

I will see can I post some results if I get anything worth talking about. :)

Oh, them Sunon fans! I had an 80mm one...nice stuff. I don't like the big motor hubs they had though.
Do you have any part no. or pics?

I noticed the Reeven 2000 rpm fan is now more avail in North america

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=36271&zenid=03f89b1ce9630fd2a5f833de5194ff46

this is a lightly better than than SlipStream 1900, the overall noise level is lower for about the same CFM performance with slightly higher Static pressure too...

If anyone looking for a good fan, these ain't bad.
review: http://dvtests.com/?p=9412

and massive fan review:
http://dvtests.com/?page_id=1231

This site and my own tests had independently found the Reeven fan to be one of the better 120mm fans out there (performance wise)
so hope the info helps.

Last edited:
Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing! I've always wondered about rad/fan positioning. Do you mind if I save an offline version just in case this thread ever disappears?

Would you think my choice of TY-147 as per this 140mm fan-roundup by xbitlabs for silence and okay cooling was good , or is their testing methodology somehow flawed and not recommendable? If I read that correctly, the TY-140 is a lot quieter with same CFM as others, and it's only setback is not scaling far into the high-RPM/CFM area, correct?

Last edited:
Back