• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans OD/ID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
So does this look right to you guys?

OD(Outer Diameter measurements) < Whole fan clearance
60mm=2.362
80mm=3.149
92mm=3.622
120mm=4.724

ID(Inner Diameter measurements) < Fan spin clearance
60mm=2 1/4"
80mm=3"
92mm=3 1/2"
120mm=4 1/2"

I'm looking to get a holesaw kit for case modding. I'm wanting to do Inner-diameter holes so I can run screws directly through case side for mounting of fans. Let me know if I'm off on this but it looks like the closest measurements I'm gonna be able to get without a special made bit setup.

striker85

It isn't rocket science. Just use the closest size hole saw and if you need to enlarge it, use a rasp or something similar.

OP
AmbientFiction

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
It isn't rocket science. Just use the closest size hole saw and if you need to enlarge it, use a rasp or something similar.

When you're doing things for a living it is rocket science striker. I know how to enlarge holes and how to take care of burs. No need for you to be rude. However if you don't have anything intelligent to say then why even post? I was asking to make sure I got the proper size hole saws.

WTF is wrong with people on this site anymore!!!!!
:shock::shock::temper::temper::bang head:bang head:

So I'm gonna ask once again does this look like the right size for Inner-diameters. And wow those Bi-Metal holesaw kits take a bite out of the wallet.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
So I'm gonna ask once again does this look like the right size for Inner-diameters. And wow those Bi-Metal holesaw kits take a bite out of the wallet.

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but it may be of some help. What I do for a cutout for a 120mm fan, is trace out a blank optical disc, cut just a little inside the line, for room for error, and then clean it up to the line with a grinding wheel on my dremel. I keep the clear one at the bottom of the spindles just for that reason. If you were to take a blank DVD, CD, or enen that clear one when you go to get the hole saws, hold the disc up the the 4 1/2" one to see how close it is.

Also, make sure to get the bi-metal hole saws, so that you don't wear them out too fast. Hope this helps.:thup:

Bobnova

If you look at fans you'll often see a tapered area on both the intake and exhaust side of the fan, ideally the hole you drill/saw would match the diameter of the outer edge of that taper, they'll move a bit more air that way and run a bit quieter.

OP
AmbientFiction

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but it may be of some help. What I do for a cutout for a 120mm fan, is trace out a blank optical disc, cut just a little inside the line, for room for error, and then clean it up to the line with a grinding wheel on my dremel. I keep the clear one at the bottom of the spindles just for that reason. If you were to take a blank DVD, CD, or enen that clear one when you go to get the hole saws, hold the disc up the the 4 1/2" one to see how close it is.

Also, make sure to get the bi-metal hole saws, so that you don't wear them out too fast. Hope this helps.:thup:

If you look at fans you'll often see a tapered area on both the intake and exhaust side of the fan, ideally the hole you drill/saw would match the diameter of the outer edge of that taper, they'll move a bit more air that way and run a bit quieter.

Thanks guys. Syn thats for the reference on size there. Also I'm super angry some frigging crackhead stole my 1,000 to 30,000 RPM var speed LCD screen dremel. They don't even make em like that anymore that I can find.

Bob thats kinda what I was shooin for just enough case clearance to be able to drill 4 holes in case wall to bolt fan to inside of case. I'm really wanting to make this look smooth and will take the fan with me to the store so I can make sure but I do believe I'm on the right track.

See I'd rather get others input on things than doing botch jobs.

Hey bob wheres the pictures of your folding rigs WC systems you're running with bushmaster and bat guano.

Waits on pictures.