• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAQ Gathering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
Please assist us in the effort to put together the most comprehensive FAQ for overclocking. All assistance is appreciated.

I would ask you to post any questions that you have had about cooling here. Answers that you have recieved would be great, too.

Please bump! :)

Some questions that I've heard a few times are:
"Is this too hot?"
"How much thermal compound?"
"Safety of water cooling?"
"Wattage of TEC?"
"Power for TEC?"
and general noise issues

I wouldnt mind a FAQ on mounting alternitive fans on heatsinks.
I use a FOP-32 with a Y-Tech fan and dont really want the noise of a delta.. so how about telling me what options are availble.. such as a 80mm fan or funnel with fan on case

This is one of the things I would like to see here. A mini snipet on a bunch of the hsfs out there now. Like what each would be good to run with etc. It is a lot of work but that is probably the most asked question out there.

Some more frequent questions might be:
"What is lapping?"
""What grit sandpaper?"
"Wet or dry sanding?"
"Do I apply the thermal paste to the HS or the cpu die?"

Perhaps a warning about Orbs would be good.
If your going for a really indepth FAQ then a table showing what temps are normal for different cpu types might be very informative since the questions of "Are these temps normal?" and "Is this too hot?" come up alot. Maybe just a chart showing the potential danger zone for different cpu's.

Blue Jester_2112 (Jul 02, 2001 09:04 a.m.):
Some more frequent questions might be:
"What is lapping?"
""What grit sandpaper?"
"Wet or dry sanding?"
"Do I apply the thermal paste to the HS or the cpu die?"

Perhaps a warning about Orbs would be good.
If your going for a really indepth FAQ then a table showing what temps are normal for different cpu types might be very informative since the questions of "Are these temps normal?" and "Is this too hot?" come up alot. Maybe just a chart showing the potential danger zone for different cpu's.

Step by Step Lapping would be great with links and ideas where to find the small grit sandpaper.--Auto body shops have it.

You'd probably need some basic info on the function of fans and pumps. eg. the characteristics of centrifugal/crossflow blowers vs. axial fans, typical fan (and pump) performance data sheet (pressure vs. flow chart), fan voltage and switching mods, inline vs. submersible pumps, and maybe some cost analysis to compare between the expenditure and gain of HSF, water, and TEC setups (give ppl some idea on how much to spend to they don't make themselves poor overclocking!). Speaking of TECs... maybe some equations to size a peltier according to need (eg. what is the wattage of a peltier I need so as to not overspend...or accidentally cook my bird). Yeah, don't forget a checklist of all the hardware (dremel, nibbler, sandpaper, etc.) your 'average' overclocker might need for each type of cooling project :)

Oh yeah... BUMP!!!! (Ow, my head! Gotta..wipe...away...blood...on table...before.........passing........................out........*)

More in depth questions I've been asked:

1. How to wire up Relay to power water pump?
answer here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips242/

2. Why won't my computer boot after doing VMOD.
answer: You hit the over voltage protection of the IC you need to also do the stage 2 mod if you wish to go over 2.1V.

3. What is battery effect (aka galvanic corrosion)when referring to Copper and Aluminum metals and watercooling.
answer: Dissimilar metals cause a reaction with each other in which corosion occurs in these parts. You'll need to use Water Wetter or a smilar product if you chose to mix Aluminum and Copper parts in a watercooing setup. Recommendation is to use all copper.

and

BUMP!

What is a peltier?
Do I need a pelt?
Whats the best Watercooling rig?
Whats a bong tower?
What do I add to the water?
Why is water the best to use in cooling?
What fan do i use.............

-Alternative methids of mounting fans. like using silicone to prevent vibrations. making ducts for airflow.

-How and WHERE to place extra fans to increase airflow.

-once and for all! what are the different heattransfer values of different materials. Gold, Aluminum, Silver, Unobtainium, and Diamond.

-What resonable mobo/cpu temps are for different setups.

*kabump*

Oh yeah!
- How to build your own water cooling rig. What materials to use, and where to obtain them.

Thanks for all the great feed back, guys! Keep it coming!

*bump*

cleaning radiators?
power supply for pelts?
getting air out of water cooling system?
sealing leaks on anything?
condensation prevention?
diff types of pumps?
Wiring rehostats/resistors/2powersupplies/and pumps

How bout a list of procs and speeds and what the best cooling solution is for each HSF wise or other so I dont have to buy and test all the them myself. :)

More great ideas, thanks guys!

Sorry about the delay in responding, but I've been out of range of a non-long distance number from a hotel for a week or so now.

BUMP!!

Back