• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Farm Cutbacks:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Bad news folks:

Some car problems recently meant that I had to spend some dough earmarked for Christmas shopping on car repairs (good news is that the car is fixed.)

So I am way behind my budget this year :(

I am not certain exactly how much impact this will have, or for just how long but the last couple of days I have just had 1 pc going: in-depth look at bills and paychecks tomorrow to see just how badly hit I will be, but I know I will not be at full strength for a while.

It's not much money, but right now $20 is a big deal.

First rig that comes back online will be the Folding rig :) and if I can afford a few they will be alternated between the two projects:)

Sorry to hear man, but I hope that everything goes ok - I am gonna see if I can get 2 more rigs folding. That may help a little bit. :)

Good news: most of my stuff is staying off but the Folding rig is still going:)

My electric usage is a little bit less than half of what it was: 3 computers on, 4 off. Killing my output for the other project, but no change here:D

I need to find a way to generate my own electricity.....thermal conversion or something:D

Running extra rigs does run up the electric bill. On the other side of the coin, they lower the gas bill because the furnace does not run as often. Two more XPs and my living room should be toasty. :D

you could put the computers so the hot air coming out the back goes into some tunnel that goes up and theres a wind generator in it the warm rising and already moving from fans air will move that around and generate some electricity :D

go to e-bay and do a search for 'small, portable nuclear reactor', should be enough to run all your boxes for years to come...

It's probably not appropriately "geekish," but what about solar power? Figure that a folding rig only needs power for the essentials. So, even with a power-sucking chip like the XP, a folding rig should be perfecty happy with 250 watts of DC goodness.

One square meter (11 square feet) puts out 100 watts at peak output. (note: livng in Washington, Maine, London, or Berlin will never give you 100 watts per square meter) So you could theoretically run a computer with 2.5 square meters of panel. You could plate your roof with solar panels; you'd never need to plug a computer in again. It'd be cool.

I mean, assuming you had money. Then it'd be cool.

Back