• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest IDE hard drive for under $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Sorry for the rookie question but I haven't paid any attention to non-sata anything in awhile. A co worker needs a drive and I'm assuming his pc is IDE since it's pretty old. Are there any good new drives being made with the old style connection? I found a 320gb Caviar blue in IDE on newegg but I'm not holding my breath that it's single platter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6109&cm_re=caviar_blue-_-22-136-109-_-Product
If this is dual 160gb platters then I'd be better off with a 250gb caviar blue since it'll be a higher density single 250gb right? :shrug: Thanks for any ideas.

Old Thrashbarg

Your best bet would probably be a SATA drive, like maybe that $50 WD 640GB Newegg has on sale today, and a $20 PCI SATA card. That'd get you a faster drive than any of the IDE models, and would allow future expandability.

OP
Brando

Brando

I see thank you. Fortunately the motherboard has a couple sata connectors so I'll probably throw in a wd3200aaks. Much appreciated though. My post was premature.