• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FBI wants a backdoor for all IOS devices ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah i heard about this on the radio, they only want access to one single phone that belonged to one of the shooters in california's mass shooting not every phone. its as simple as the phone is locked and they want apple to bypass it so they can access the data, they are afraid it has an auto wipe feature if they tamper with it wrongly.

They want to open up the one phone from the terrorist attack. By proxy, according to Apple, this would open up a back door to ALL iOS devices...

They want to open up the one phone from the terrorist attack. By proxy, according to Apple, this would open up a back door to ALL iOS devices...

true but if the phone was turned over to apple, they disabled the lock, and returned it, fbi wouldnt know how they did it.

true but if the phone was turned over to apple, they disabled the lock, and returned it, fbi wouldnt know how they did it.

That's the problem, the FBI wants to KNOW how it's done and they want any software that does it.
Not good.

The article I read said that they wouldn't do it even if they could because it would be an infringement on our personal privacy.

That can be read 2 different ways. Either they have incredible morals and really do look out for our privacy. OR, they're not concerned with finding out if these terrorists are guilty. Personally I hope they have the morals to stand up to the FBI and do what's right.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the problem, the FBI wants to KNOW how it's done and they want any software that does it.
Not good.

Thanks button <----

Not good.
Maybe...:shrug:

I am not sure if that was an option in the first place though. I didn't see it in the article (even so, it is FRAUDzilla) and didn't hear it on NPR.

Not good.

ohhhhhhhh
that makes sense, thanks for the clarification i guess i should have read more lol.
screw the fbi!

Maybe...:shrug:

I am not sure if that was an option in the first place though. I didn't see it in the article (even so, it is FRAUDzilla) and didn't hear it on NPR.

If turning it over to Apple to unlock without giving anything away and the FBI gets all the material that's encrypted
then why would the FBI get a court order? Reading between the lines the FBI wants more than that, they want the
means to do it themselves from Apple, and it looks like they want to test the legal system with it.

They are getting a court order, according what I heard on NPR, because Apple will not do it, period. I don't recall hearing anything regarding the FBI wanting to know the process/have access to the software. They just want it done.

Did I miss that request by the FBI to 'know how'?

They are asking "for help". I dont see a mutually exclusive request for them to 'know how' its done. You are reaching for that meaning... though I can see why you would.

They are asking "for help". I dont see a mutually exclusive request for them to 'know how' its done. You are reaching for that meaning... though I can see why you would.

Well CEO Cook and Apple see the ramifications quite clearly if few others do.

Well CEO Cook and Apple see the ramifications quite clearly if few others do.
I clearly understand those... as do many (not the FBI).

However, I did not see where they wanted to know exactly how its done which is what you stated earlier. Now you are talking about the ramifications which we all (except the FBI) understand.

Not good.
= Speculation

You may darn well be right... again though, none of the articles stated nor alluded to that (and neither did NPR).

One can assume this will not the the last case, once word gets out that iPhones are "anti-police/FBI" i am sure there will be a lot of people abusing it ? also the PR move by Apple is counter-productive, they will be forced sooner or later, might as well try to pass off as a good guy and do what the court asked for.

I generally don't love what Apple does. But I appreciate Tim Cook's statement that he put out yesterday regarding user privacy no matter who is requesting it. I can understand the lack of desire to put in a back door at the government's request, as that would make things messy very quickly for everyone. It would be a huge slippery slope, considering the fact that the IOS versions that are released are pretty much universal, and I'm sure people in Germany (for example) wouldn't want the IOS-USABackDoorFBIEdition installed on their phones (or anyone else around the world) where people can be spied on and the power abused so easily. It also would mean an amount of time for when, not if, the less than desirable people would find out how to utilize it and all hell would break loose. And in terms of that, it would just lead to people installing IOS versions from other parts of the world that don't have that included and/or importing phones from other countries.

Agreed (K and Janus). In one of the articles, it even mentioned that the NSA could probably do it... I guess they don't want to wait and would like to make it easy... that backfired! :rofl:

Personally, I am floored that they do not already have software that can do this!!

Quite logically if all the FBI wants is the encrypted data then there wouldn't be a problem.
With the FBI looking over Apple's shoulder, then there IS a problem. It's not stated in any
uncertain words but one doesn't need it tattooed on their forearm to know that the FBI
wants more than just the encryped data. Without getting too political, because that's what
this is coming down to, who appoints the FBI Director and who tells them what they want or
who goes to the White House crying that Apple isn't playing fair and who tells the White House
appointed Federal Judge they want a court order?

Anyone who thinks the FBI only wants the encrypted data and nothing more from Apple
raise their hands.

*Raises hand*

I can't live like that guys... you can call me ignorant, but I don't have time in my life to spin the wheels of conspiracy theories in my head. Is it a logical leap? I will give you that... but I do think this is about apple and privacy, not with the FBI wanting to know how and control the software etc like you mentioned earlier.

Whether you can or not is besides the point sadly, conspiracy nuts abound but you know fair well that governments have their fair share of cloak and dagger. Opportunity to do to Apple what they did to Microsoft ? check.

Back