• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FCPGA and FCPGA2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kid Payne

They are not the same right? Even if they are both socket 370 (non tualatin) they aren't the same, correct? I'm looking around for a new processor, possibly a celeron, but one says:

CPU: 1.0 GHz
Type: Celeron
Cache: 128K L2
BUS: 100MHz
Socket: 370 (FCPGA)

and the other;

CPU: 1.2GHz
Cache: 256K
Socket: 370 (FCPGA2)

Are either of these good for a board that supports Coppermines only?

Tipycol

I thought the designation FC-PGA2 meant the cpu was a tualatin? Cause aren't tualatins socket 370 anyway and they'd fit into a socket designed only for coppermines?

deez

If your board only supports coppermines and you dont want to try any mods then this is the right chip

CPU: 1.0 GHz
Cache: 128K L2
Socket: 370 (FCPGA)

The other chip you listed is a Tualatin Celeron and will give you a bit better performance because of the 256K L2 cache. It also overclocks a bit better. But if your board wont support Tualatins then your outta luck

Edward2

In addition to the cache size difference, the 2 chips you listed have different core voltages. The 1.0 has a core voltage of 1.75v, while the 1.2 has a core voltage of 1.475v. You need to find out if your motherboard will support "low voltage" (1.475v) CPUs. Some of the older socket 370 motherboards to not support these "low voltage" CPUs.

OP
Kid Payne

Kid Payne

omg, I have work to do. Nothing on the company's site. I'll try with my PIII 800 chip first, then if everything works out, I wanna start looking for a cheap celeron chip. Thanks for the replies guys!