• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fedora, Redhat 9 or another distro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drshivas

Sith Lord
Whoops! Wrong forum, please delete! :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I just did a major upgrade/shuffle/sell-off of my hardware and got to rebuilding my last system (an old school [email protected]!) which will be a linux box.

Does anyone have any recs on what distro I should go with now? I am leaning towards Fedora, but is there a reason to bail on RH all together and pic a different distro?

Thanks

Last edited:

DaMouse

I run Slackware 9.1 personally ( http://www.slackware.com/ ) no bloatware that those RPM distros (Redhat/Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE etc.) has and a very easy install IMHO with straight-to-the-point menu items.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I have mostly been using RedHat and now have 3 pcs with Fedora.
Pretty happy overall but some of the changes in Fedora make installing aome things a royal pain: NVidida specifically.
You need to do some work or locate the precompiled drivers that some folks are putting up to get things working.
These things will be fixed in time, I am sure, but for now there are a few glitches that keep me from giving Fedora an excellent recommendation.
It does work just fine once everything is set up correctly, but it just is not as new-user friendly as RedHat 8 (basically, Fedora core 1 is RH9 with a few changes.)
RedHat 9 is good but many of the same issues apply as with Fedora- and support will be stopping soon so no more patches/updates. Skip RH9, imo.

Slackware 9.1 is the newest distro I have messed with and like.
The only install issue is drive partitioning: must be done manually before installing can begin; everything is there for you on the cd when you boot though.

So far I am very impressed with Slack- drivers are much easier to install, standard software installs much easier (no need for specially compiled Fedora versions!)

A few things about usability may not be quite as comfortable for someone new to linux, but I am very favorably impressed so far.

Ultimately, there are many distros around and they are just a download or a few dollars away! Try one and if you don't like it.......try another.

OP
drshivas

drshivas

Sith Lord
Thanks all. I will take a look at Slackware as well.

rogerdugans, I hear you about the drivers and Fedora. The install left a bitter taste in my mouth because it didn't like my trusty 3COM NIC- that worked in all previous versions. You had to disable hardware dector service/program (I don't recall exactly).