• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feedback wanted on the Zalman Flower cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smilingcrow

I’m specifying a new PC with silence being a very high priority and the Zalman Flower cooler seems like an excellent choice for passive cooling in conjunction with a Celeron 1.0A. Has anyone tried this heatsink in passive mode with a Taluatin CPU? What sort of temps are you getting? Did you drop the CPU voltage?

Feedback also appreciated on how much noise the fan makes in quiet mode, particularly from people running quiet systems where it’s easier to monitor individual noise sources.

Does the Flower Cooler package include the Fanmate variable voltage regulator?

Anyone used this cooler with a Pentium 4 in passive or low noise mode? I’m not expecting it to cool enough to run a P4 1.6A passively but it’s worth asking :)

Thanks

Smiling Crow

I have a flower 6000cu on an AMD XP1700. Quiet mode on the 92mm went bye-bye after I dumped my Athlon 1G and now I run a 120mm in quiet mode. The kit includes the fan adjuster.

The nice part of this system is it develops enough airflow to cool the rest of your case too.

Use a duct (with a filter) to bring fresh air in and you may not need an other fans (I don't -- even at 1500rpm). The fins get very close togeher at the base so dust must be taken seriously.

How much noise was the 92 mm fan making in quiet mode?
Which model 120 mm are you using? I see Papst make a 1600 rpm 120 mm fan rated at 26 dBA but I don’t know of any 1500 rpm 120 mm jobs. How quiet is it?

Smiling Crow

i also suggest a Thermalright AX-7 with a 24cfm Panflo 80mm that setup should be pretty darn quiet and allow you to get like a 50% oc on the tualatin

Hey Funnyperson1,

I was considering the ThermalRight SK6 with a low rpm fan but the AX-7 looks kinda dandy to. I could stick a 80 mm Papst running at 1500 rpm on that and as you say probably still be able to overclock also. It would be good to have a quiet system that wasn’t a dog :)

Smiling Crow

The 92mm in quiet mode was very quiet, I don't have a meter. I can tell the 120 is running but barely. I have an Enermax adjjustable which I chose mostly because it's transparent (frosted). What's the point in a fancy heatsink if you can barely see it? This fan is nothing if not fancy (gold wire guard, purple plastic). Available at NewEgg.

I'm trying a new case mod right now that's 5 degrees lower than my duct. I replaced the door with a furnace filter! CPU at 35 System at 28. I'm finally (maybe) ready to try a bit of overclocking... a PSU w/thermostat (low) and one 120mm. fan @ 1500 rpm. It'll probably be even cooler once I rip the huge cardboard duct out.

I have this heatsink, its much better than the stock hsf, but still the swiftech easily beats it for overclocking.

Back