• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fermi? ECC on a Graphics Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xilix

I just watched the flash demo on Nvidia.com about this, and the ECC made me think of something a little wierd. If you're overclocking your card, but it has ECC, would ECC stop it from artifacting by correcting the errors before output, therefor making it harder to figure out where the limit is? It makes sense to me, but I'm not an uber guru like ViperJohn and others, so I don't have an insanely deep understanding of this.

What do you guys think? And can anyone else think of some advantages, disadvantages or anything else that ECC may bring to the table? It's definitely a first for consumer GPU's if I remember correctly.

PS: I always thought ECC made things a tad slower? Can't remember where I heard this.

Zantal

I just watched the flash demo on Nvidia.com about this, and the ECC made me think of something a little wierd. If you're overclocking your card, but it has ECC, would ECC stop it from artifacting by correcting the errors before output, therefor making it harder to figure out where the limit is? It makes sense to me, but I'm not an uber guru like ViperJohn and others, so I don't have an insanely deep understanding of this.

What do you guys think? And can anyone else think of some advantages, disadvantages or anything else that ECC may bring to the table? It's definitely a first for consumer GPU's if I remember correctly.

PS: I always thought ECC made things a tad slower? Can't remember where I heard this.

it does make things slower,

as for the overclocking thing,

i think when you overclock the memory the ecc starts having (maybe) some problems fixing the errors (since it has to work faster too Oo)

i said this thing not because i know it is like this, just used my logic

tbh they could have made 2 differente versions of the card. one for cuda and one for gaming ECC has really no use in gaming.