• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few questions I've been meaning to ask about stepping, and CPU core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I have had this on my mind before, and I think I actually read about it somewhere, but If I did I forgot already :D . Anyway, on to the questions. First, what the heck is stepping? I hear you all talking about stepping all the time, and I am always like, "what the he** is that"? But I never asked just because I didn't feel like it. But I feel like asking now, so what is it? :) Also, what is the deal with the different CPU core names, like the barton, palimno, and Tbred? Not sure if I spelled any of those right, but I'm sure you get what I'm talking about. Well...Thanks for the help! :D

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
step.gif

This is the stepping off of one of my 2100's I have had the (B) last letter out of the 5 letter bunch mean's it's a tbred (b) if it where an (a) then it would be a tbred a. The 0302 is the yr,week it was made 2003, 2nd week.

There is a pdf amd sheet somewhere that tells you all the info about all the letter-number's.

IceMan3928

stepping is the first 5 letters on the 3d line of the pic above (in this case AIUHB). A stepping is a minor revision of the same core, so usually later steppings do better because they have more bugs worked out. The palimino was the original Athlon XP core, then came the tbred A which made the core slightly smaller and decreased voltage and heat production, then came the tbredB which had a few minor changes over the tbredA core and tends to run a bit cooler and overclock higher. The latest core for the Athlon XP is the Barton core which is basically a tbredB core with an increased L2 cache size and consequently larger die size.

OP
soundfx4

soundfx4

OOOOOHHOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D Thank you both! That really helped. I see now. Hmmm...I wander what mine is, is there a way I can find out without shutting down my computer?

OC Detective

You have a XP1600 so it is a palomino - you cannot find out the stepping without removing the heatsink and physically looking at it.