• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Server Setup....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

Well, my dad's company needs a File Server for backup purposes and I'm wondering if this setup is alright...

ASROCK K7S41GX SOCKETA 741GX mATX DDR AGP 2PCI ATA133 VIDEO SOUND LAN
MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM 2MB 8.5MS ATA133 QUIET VERSION OEM 1YR WARRANTY
AOPEN 17IN QF50A MID-TOWER CASE BLACK 300W W/ FRONT USB & SOUND
SAMSUNG 256MB PC3200 DDR400 184PIN OEM
Either 2500+ Barton or 1700+ XP ( 1700+ meaning take the CPU from my rig at home and have an excuse to buy myself a Mobile Barton ;) )
GLOBALWIN FSP82 SOCKET A ALUMINUM 3000RPM 39CFM 32DBA

Total = $270.34 CDN (Not including CPU , around $370 including a regular Barton).

Will this be too much and can I just cheap out and use a P3 500 system that I have running. I have my doubts considering that it not only will be a file server, but most likely a database and maybe a mail server as well. I'm basically cheaping out on components. From what I found, the AsRock board is reliable, and has everything built in, so I can save some $$ there, and everything else is straight forward.

Furthermore, what OS should I use? I'm thinking SuSE 9.1 Professional, SuSE 8.0 Server, or Mandrake 10, mainly for the price (or lack of it), as well as the fact that I pretty much know what I'm doing when setting up a Samba server. I don't have much knowledge with the database programs, but that is not the top priority right now, and I can figure that out afterwards.

Last edited:

twump

save yourself some money and don't bother with pc3200 for the ram. you buying a 133mhz based mobo so you don't need anything over pc2700.

either cpu (2500/1700) will probably work fine for a file server depending on the traffic the server gets.

since this server is going to be for backups, you may want to consider getting 2 hd's and a controller card and running raid-1 (mirroring) for redundancy.

i can't help with the OS part. i am a linux noob

OP
Aslan

Aslan

Well, I went for the 3200 simply because it was on sale and comes out to be cheaper than any 2700 that www.ncix.com (where I'm buying from) has. Since it's becoming more likely that I'll use the 1700+, I'll consider dropping down to 2100 (no overclocking here) and use that.
The RAID idea is a very good one, and I'll put it into consideration. I might also up the hard drive to 120 and get a pair of those in RAID 1.

bluediamond

If you are only using this system for backups, cut your costs in half and just get a USB or firewire external hard drive. A Maxtor USB 120 GB One Touch at new egg for $160 would work.

OP
Aslan

Aslan

bluediamond said:
If you are only using this system for backups, cut your costs in half and just get a USB or firewire external hard drive. A Maxtor USB 120 GB One Touch at new egg for $160 would work.

It's a good idea, but one external hard drive will be somewhat of a pain considering that it would have to be a backup for multiple computers. Also, future expandability would be basically out of the question, and in considering CDN $$ (I can't buy at Newegg), the Maxtor drive would be around 60-80% of the cost of a file server (although I could consider buying an enclosure with a regular drive which would be much cheaper, however, reliability would be a question there).
This is still an option though, and something I'll consider in the next couple days, but I still have to make a choice quite soon.

David

Forums Super Moderator
If its just a file server, use the cheap P3/500 and spend the money on a good hard disk and decent amount of RAM (256 to 512MB RAM). This would also do for light database usage.

For heavy database usage, invest in some extra RAM and a better CPU.

OP
Aslan

Aslan

Yep, this idea sounds the best, and the cheapest and most likely what I'll do since it's the easiest. It basically kills my excuse to get a Mobile Barton ;) but they need another computer apart from the server, and I don't have enough parts at home to make another one (guess who built the majority of the other computers there using spare parts ;) ), meaning that there's a good chance I'll have to buy the other setup anyways.