• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File sharing through a Linksys Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Recently my bro bought himself an eMac and we ran a network cable to his computer room, he bought a Linksys 5 port router and we currently have three systems in the router. Prior to that I had my 2 PC's with file and internet sharing through crossover and everything worked fine. When I plugged my PC's into the router I was/am able to connect to the internet withought any problems but I have lost the ability to file share. One system is running XP and the other is running ME. Is it possible to file share through a router or am I going to have to setup a pier to pier or get a hub for the uplink?

Kendan

Senior Punk
It should be no problem with a router. You just have to set all of your rigs to connect to the lan and let the router dish out the IPs. There is a network setup problem not a hardware problem. Take a look in the linksys manual I am pretty sure it has a step by step. also make sure Win xp firewall is not blocking the network traffic. Good luck.

OP
R

RPM_Computing

Kendan, thanks for the reply. lol, you were right about the XP firewall, I disabled it and Bingo. Funny thing is I seen it enabled before not thinking I had setup the other system on a seperate NIC.

Thanks again,

Rick.