• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FILE TRANSFER BETWEEN TWO COMPUTERS IN THE SAME ROOM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
can I just use team viewer to move files between 2 computers here at the house that are connected to my unmanaged Ethernet switch and not have to go through all the networking fun?

Last edited:

Mpegger

You could, but if you're running 2 PC with the same OS, it's usually loads easier to just use the built in file browser, then having to install another piece of software.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
in win 7 how do I get the two boxes to see each other?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Please come up with a more descriptive title, and I'll set it for you.

DNRDustin

I usually have my downloads folder shared on the network, and move the file there if it isn't already. Is that what you're looking for?

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
here's what I want to do,
I want to be able to move files from 200 gigs and up between two computers in the same room, securely.
I am tired of dragging this usb 3.0 doc back and forth, plugging it all in, loading it, unplugging it all and plugging it back in, finding that the usb 3.0 has died, again, having to load it usb 2.0 and then copy it to the working drive usb 2.0, then go get another dock.......
this is my fourth or fith doc and they all work fine for a short while and then the usb 3.0 dies, but they all work fine usb 2.0, but sooooooooo slooooooooooooooow.

knoober

There is a thing called a crossover cable that is used for ad hoc connections. Only one I've ever used had a bad cable though (or ad hoc doesn't work, don't know which). It's just an ether net cable with two of the wires transposed ( I don't make my own cables yet so please double check)

Also what OS are you running? Win7 has "homegroup" . Set home group on one pc and join the group is with the second (as long as they are on the same LAN)

I actually think I must be misunderstanding your question because a well informed fella like yourself surely knows of these things already, but this is the answer to how I read the question to be. Hope this helps :)

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
the most I know about networking is apache and samba that I set up back in 2000 following a book (that had about that many pages) step by step for about a month and the lesson I learned from that was caddi, don't touch it!!!

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
ok, in my cables I have a 50 foot "crossover" cable with "cable is not regulation issue for competitive manhatten double dutch leagues" printed on it.
will that do?
WTF does that mean??????

knoober

"cable is not regulation issue for competitive manhatte/n double dutch leagues" printed on it
will that do?
Sounds like you ought to not let the kids use it to jump rope! :)

I don't hav any clue what that print means but if it's got RJ45 on each end try plugging them into the ethernet slots on each machine. Assuming Windows 7, you would be able to see the other machine under the "network" tab in Explorer. If that isn't the case I need I'll try to put together a walk through for you (it's what I've been doing for the last several weeks, I can't pretend to be an expert but I think I can help with a basic configuration.... Maybe) but it will differ based on what OS 's are in play here. Once again, assuming windows 7, the job is pretty much done for you just by typing"Homegroup" into the search bar in the start menu. Click on Homegroup and follow the directions and you should be good to go.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I'll try through home group this week. it's going to be a busy one....

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
ok, so, of all these ideas.... just share the folders you want access to on each computer then map those folders to a network drive on the opposite computer. boom gigabit file shares.

knoober

It should have occurred to me from the start but.... You have TeamViewer :)

Someone set this guy's up right will ya? I'd do it but you have to be at least 10yrs younger than me and blood related for me to work on your stuff :)

habbajabba

I use NoMachine. It runs on both pc's (same exe). Uses drag and drop for file transfer and is super easy to use. It basically opens up a window that displays the other desktop with the same functionality as if you were in front of it.
https://www.nomachine.com/

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
OK! I have two rigs sharing via homegroup, I can drag and drop files from one to the other.
the two rigs are wired to the switch with cat 5 cables, the switch has one port wired over to the router for interwebs access and that works.

the file transfer speed is only about 11-13 mbps.
the test file is a single 1 gig video.
the old switch is 10/100, a d-link des1105.
how do I find out what is slowing the transfer speed?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
That is the max for 10/100. The switch is the slowest part.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
would it be faster if I took the switch out and ran them through my router, or is that just that?