• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filesystem question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxPower

Today i was looking through my sbin directory, and i cam across a binary named resize_reiserfs ,now i'm guessing this allows you to resize a reiserfs partition. Does this do so without losing data? If so , i know reiserfs is a journaling FS but is it really any different then ext3?

I use resize_reiserfs pretty frequently on my box, you can grow reiserfs partitions without losing any data or even unmounting them.

Hmm, that sounds interesting. I think I'll give it a try when I get my new drive. All thats needs is to compile support for reiser into the kernel, correct?

Thanks everybody for replying. And special thanks to Dark Arctic for the good linkage. They are definetly going in my bookmarks, so i can veiw them when i have more time.

I wish I had reiser I put ext3 on my main box for some odd reason its a little better than ext2 but I notice nothing and the damn thing still has to fsck!

sigh fsck the thorn in my side

If you want to get rid of fsck, as root type 'tune2fs -c 0' that will get rid of the max-mount-counts, and your file system will never be checked by fsck again. Though, I would recommend setting it to something like 100 so that after 100 times of mounting the filesystem it will run fsck. You can read more about tune2fs if you read the man page.

And technically, it always does have to run fsck but its really short because of the journal.

Back