• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filling in scratch on lcd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acesea

Earlier today someone accidentally scratched my 17" lcd; nothing major, it was a friend and he obviously did not do it on purpose so I did not freak. Anyway, the scratch is very thin and shallow into the protective film on the screen and it s roughly 2-3inches long. Its definately noticeable but matters what colors are being displayed. I contacted Planar to see if they had any ideas on what i could do, but id like to ask you guys here...
Any ideas on some liquid, gel, whatever that I could apply to the screen to fill in the scratch and perhaps eliminate its appearance? Are there any products such as this, or anything that might work in its place? Thanks a bunch.

Did a little surfing and found out that another option is using a plastic polisher specifically made to buff out minor scratches in trasparent plastics. Since the scratch is pretty small in the sense that its not deep at all and the screen I would imagine has a protective coating on the exterior (which is what is scratched) I could just buff it out. What do you think?
Heres a linky:
http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/noscre.html
The stuff is called Novus, read a couple of places that recommend this. Also read elsewhere that an option could be Meguiars, the company that makes automotive cleaning accessories, which has a similar item.
Anyone else on here with a scratched lcd? I know i cant be the only one, what did you do?

nice find i think ill have to pick some o fthat up. I have a scratch on an ibook LCD im tryign to hack, so ill try that out. Before i treid clear nail polish......will never try that again, bad bad idea

well the scratch dried white, kinda liek whiteout white. and there was a visible "film" that showed up where i ddint get all off the nail polish off of. Yeah it was a horrible idea.

Haha. k thanks for the info and sorry about that. if i dont find anymore info ill probably try those plastic polish fluid and see how that goes. ill keep u posted.

Perhaps putting a little peanut butter on the scratch and letting a cute little Pug dog lick the screen clean could buff that scratch out :)

I've used those Novus products quite a bit on plexiglass/acrylic and such, even on CD's/DVD's. It does a great job on them. I'm not sure how it will do on your screen though. I notice on most LCD's the protective coating is kind of a matte finish to reduce glare and reflections. The Novus, if used properly will leave a shiny, high gloss finish. A shiny spot in the middle of a matte surface might be worse than the scratch. You could possibly do the whole surface, making it all glossy and then get a glare reducing screen guard for it. Also Novus requires quite a bit of downward pressure while buffing for it to work, probably not a good idea on an LCD screen. If I were you, I'd wait and see what the manufacturer says. If no joy from them, I would get a piece of plexiglass and practice using the Novus on it. That will give you a good idea if you can get the results you want without damaging your screen further.

peace.
unloaded

unloaded, thanks for the info and heads up. when i get that novus stuff ill let you all know how it goes.

Back