• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final count down till the last Socket370 processors arrive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 questions:
1) do any p///S boards support ddr? and
2) do the p3s'es oc well?
might build one as an experiment for my lil sis's comp
-Malakai

Malakai said:

PIII's are not pre-overclocked by the manufacturer in the factory in advance like AMD:D and suitable for those who found a 7K HSF too noisy...

Malakai said:
2 questions:
1) do any p///S boards support ddr? and
might build one as an experiment for my lil sis's comp
-Malakai

the PIII-S oc extremely well and normally its only your other components that keep you from hitting 170fsb.....DDr with a PIII is useless, though when you get the fsb high enough the performance will be almost...equal to that of DDR

all this talk about cellies and P3's still doesnt beat a $130 p4 running at 2800....u cant just beat that price or performance

soil said:
there are CuMine mobo from Asus and Epox supporting DDR but no Tualatin mobo using DDR

iwill DVD266r-UN...

Supports Dual P3 tualatin cpus (512k cache only)
Supports Single tualatins or coppermines
Supports 3Gb DDR Ram

pair this mobo up with dual 1.533Ghz P3(512k cache) and u have one of the sickest setups around ..almost as sick as my p4 setup ;)

I have a combination for ya

I am thinking about putting these on an asus P3C-d its a Rambus mutherboard on the discontinued i820 chipset, can run from 100 to 180 fsb, this kind of board with a geforce 4 would kick some major you know what :burn:

Re: I have a combination for ya

i2fast4u said:
I am thinking about putting these on an asus P3C-d its a Rambus mutherboard on the discontinued i820 chipset, can run from 100 to 180 fsb, this kind of board with a geforce 4 would kick some major you know what :burn:

that it would...and hnic2k the PIII-S and Celerons are very good for people (like me) who have loads of PC133 Ram because we all know that P4s suck without DDR or RDRAM.....

Re: Is..

Black Hawk said:
Are any of you planning on trying to get the PIII 1533 to 2Ghz? I'd love to see the benchmarks if you get it that high.

It's possible, just that a 174fsb is needed.... Although you'd need a good PSU and good HDD from keeping the HDD to start with the corruption thing.

Too bad Intel is over pricing the 0.13µ P3's. That's a great cpu, so good they have to over price it to keep it from being a choice over P4.

I still love P3 and BX! I have two P3/BX systems that run fast. :)

WHY OH WHY?

Why must they discontinue this fine beast they have created. Has it grown too large for the cage they originally intended to keep it in and now its scaring intel that the new P4 isn't living up to what the ledgendary P3 is capable of. They never needed the P4 to begin with, all its there for is hype and sales margin.

no Tualatin mobo using DDR

A part from what was already mentioned, there's also the very cheap ECS P6S5AT (SiS 635 chipset).

No overclocking features (although you should be able to wire trick a Celeron to a default 133 FSB), but otherwise it's a pretty decent board.

It's also rather fast with DDR RAM. Pity there's no overclocking, because clock for clock it's the fastest thing for Socket 370 out there (with DDR RAM, on SDR it's only so so). Faster than the memory interleaved ServerWorks stuff actually.

I am thinking about putting these on an asus P3C-d its a Rambus mutherboard on the discontinued i820 chipset, can run from 100 to 180 fsb, this kind of board with a geforce 4 would kick some major you know what

Hmmm, so i2fast4u, you got one of these oddball Intel 820 boards too. I've been playing with a P3C-E board lately (Intel 820 and RDRAM) and it's a pretty snappy board, not quite as snappy as a 440BX at 150 FSB though.

I found it won't overclock as high as a 440BX either (falls maybe 6-8 mhz short), but it does about as well as a P3V4X. Very very stable too. This board also has a stellar ATA66 controller.

The 820 chipset can't take advantage of the RDRAM so memory benchmarks are pretty low (won't hit or get over 400).

But for some reason, I find 512 MB of RDRAM gives me smoother gaming performance than the same amount of SDRAM on other boards. I'm running my PC800 at PC968. Running games like RTCW, Ghost Recon, MOHAA, and Serious Sam Second Encounter at 1600x1200x32, all details maxed, games are actually playable (on a Radeo 8500). Mouse movements are fairly smooth and pans not too ragged. And I tested on an 850E at 116 FSB, for around 986 mhz. With the same amount of SDRAM on other boards, at about the same overclock, I have to drop the games down to 1280x1024.

So much for those latency problems. This is my seat-of-the-pants observation. I get a bit of stuttering at 256 MB ram, though.

I was going to junk the board but think I'll keep it. No way you'll come close to 180 FSB on it though.

Well,

I am actually thinking of getting that Iwill board, since it can use DDR. I think that if I had the money I'd get it and 512 MB Kingmax 333MHZ DDR, and 2 1533 MHZ P3's. Of course, the board and ram alone wil cost 350, and the CPU's I bet will be 500 apiece.... :(.

uh..piii cannot make the most out those rambus and ddr, so it is pretty much a waste. anyway, i like my cel-t fine, and hopefully i will get my PIII-S back soon (how long have i been saying that? cannot remember, but... :( , i will call intel tomorrow!! )

tainice said:
uh..piii cannot make the most out those rambus and ddr, so it is pretty much a waste. anyway, i like my cel-t fine, and hopefully i will get my PIII-S back soon (how long have i been saying that? cannot remember, but... :( , i will call intel tomorrow!! )
there is a small performace difference between ddr/rdram and sdram, its only like 8% though.
but thats an awfuly expensive 8% if you go with ddr or rdram for the p3

I'll be sorry to see this CPU line End.

This is indeed the Greatest CPU line ever made

So far I started out with Celeron 300a OC to 450,
then came the 566 oc to 850mhz.

soon after I purchased a Celeron 633 and OC to 980mhz.

then came the Celeron 900mhz oc to 1333mhz
(which I killed it in a voltage modd :( )

then back to Celeron 700mhz OC to 1050mhz.

It looks like I'm due for one more Celeron before I retire this entire platform for a P4-base system

A little history,

The very first start of Socket370/Slot1 processors was the Slot1 Pentium2 233MHz processor. Then came the 266~300MHz versions of the CPU.

But then Intel decided on a value based CPU for the first time and it had came to be the Celeron @ 266MHz. Then 300MHz celerons soon came. But Intel was getting edgy on how the Celeron core was not stable enough and did not feature enough floating point units. So, Intel had built a complete revision to the core and called it the Celeron 300a. From this point, the celerons had began to ramp right up to 466MHz on this architecture.

The Pentium countinued to ramp adding another 33MHz to bring it to 333MHz, then Intel decided a 100FSB was need. Then 350~450MHz Pentium2 CPUs came about. The Pentium2 @ 450MHz lasted forever, about 6months before the Pentium3 showed in March 1999.

At the time that all this history was being made, all this CPUs were powered by the FAMOUS BX chipset! The LX chip was there but died soon after the 100FSB processors came about.

Anyways, Celerons finally got FC-PGA @ 400MHz and this started to countinue right till 533MHz. Intel finally launched a new Celeron2 core which was dubbed Coppermine-128 which had some potential.

The Pentium3 meanwhile ramped from 450~650MHz on 100MHz FSB. Then came Coppermine, a CPU core that will go down in history. The coppermine core gained a 133FSB and ramped right till 1000MHz. A 1133MHz Coppermine was built but never lasted due to some failures and limitations that the architecture had.

Meanwhile, the Celeron2 had ramped to 700MHz on 66MHz FSB, while at 700MHz, most people thought Intel was playing a joke of releasing a processor of 700MHz crippled so harshly at a 66MHz Bus:D .

The Pentium3 Meanwhile had came to a hault, no new technologies were being implemeted and a final Tut core would bring another new life to this already aging chip. The Pentium3-S is one powerful CPU that scaled from 1000MHz~1533MHz as of April/May 2002. @ 1533MHz, this CPU could potentially outperform a 2.2GHz Pentium4 in many applications.

Finally, The Celeron had gotten 100MHz FSB and soon ramped from 700MHz~1100MHz. It had taken over 8 months before Celeron-T had arrived. Initially @ 1200MHz, the Celeron T would squish even a 1GHz Pentium3 with a 133FSB, impressive and more over a 1.2GHz Pentium4 maxed.

The Celeron-T also scalled back and produced 1000a, & 1100a versions of the CPU. The Celeron-T CPU had soon ramped from 1000MHz~1533MHz.

Conclusion:
---------------
Intel Pentium(2-3) Architecture based on Slot1/Socket370
233MHz~1533MHz

Intel Celeron(1-2-3) Architecture based on Slot1/Socket370
266MHz~1500MHz

So there you have it, the end of Socket370, which STILL TODAY CAN BE POWERED BY A BX chipset!! Thats gatta go into the history books of technological advancements.

AXIA

Back