• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Fantasy 13

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know this should go in the cyber deals section but newegg is selling the game for $5 off w/ free shipping. 360: EMCYPYX75 PS3: EMCYPYX74

I know this should go in the cyber deals section but newegg is selling the game for $5 off w/ free shipping. 360: EMCYPYX75 PS3: EMCYPYX74

Ugh, Dell also has 360 Arcades for $164. So tempted, especially since I want to try Blue Dragon and a few other 360 exclusive RPGs..

Ugh, Dell also has 360 Arcades for $164. So tempted, especially since I want to try Blue Dragon and a few other 360 exclusive RPGs..

I don't know about "a few" other exclusive RPGs... Maybe more like "one other" RPG.

They've got Blue Dragon, Fable II and... what?

Not that I care really... I prefer my RPGs a little weirder than they come on the home systems. Like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes or Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Both the PS3 and the 360 are jokes compared to all the RPGs they've been putting out on the PSP and DS lately.

Playing Final Fantasy VII on the PSP as we speak...

zex, you playing the 360 or PS3 version?

PS3.

I mentioned the resolution of the game in my previous post. Those resolutions are for the PS3 only!

the 360 renders the game at 1024x576, and upscales it to 720P, and all the cut-scenes have been reduced down to 720P resolution.

Oh and for anyone wondering, The rumor that there are almost no load times in the PS3 version...Well that's true. The only times you see a "now loading" scene is when you load from a game-save, or when you die in battle and click "retry", which takes you back to right before you fought the enemy.

Saving is really fast, Going in and out of your menu is fast, opening and closing the map is just as quick as well.

Considering how many PS3 games either have long loading problems, or force you to install the game to help fix the loading problems, I'm quite surprised at how quick everything is. And no, the game doesn't have you install the game to the HDD. There's not even an option for it. And in all honesty, It's not needed.

I don't know about "a few" other exclusive RPGs... Maybe more like "one other" RPG.

They've got Blue Dragon, Fable II and... what?

Not that I care really... I prefer my RPGs a little weirder than they come on the home systems. Like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes or Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Both the PS3 and the 360 are jokes compared to all the RPGs they've been putting out on the PSP and DS lately.

Playing Final Fantasy VII on the PSP as we speak...

Well, there's also Lost Odyssey. PS3 has White Knight and Valkyria Chronicles though, plus FF7. I've been trying like mad to get my PC version working under Vista 64 and just no luck. Still haven't played it.

I did get M&M:CoH and it's not really an RPG, more like a puzzle game with RPG skin, like Puzzle Quest.

Wow, just played for 10 straight hours and it didn't even feel it. I don't care how linear it is, it's a good game.

Played to the first time you get to play the girl in the blue dress with the staff. Have to say, not really a fan so far. This is my first JRPG, so maybe it's not the genre for me (regular RPGs are my favorites, so I kinda figured I'd like this too). The battle system is OK, but the characters are awful. I don't think I've ever played a game where I hoped everyone I control dies at the end, but so far that's what I wish on these goons. Combine that with no real choice in any way (character progression or story) and dialog that is silly at best and ridiculous at worst and well... I guess it's not the game for me.

yeah..the battle system in this is by far the worst I have ever seen. Its basically just mash the A button..comp takes care of the rest. Heal and do again. Back to lost oddysey

I think the battle system is great, one of the best I've used:shrug:

You have the option to not use the autochain, you know. If you just use autochain/heal in the harder battles you're going to be seeing game over a lot. And it's not like the computer is doing everything for you. Anytime I need a spell casted (which I would normally choose myself), for instance , I can go to the correct paradigm and 90% of the time my character will do what I need in that situation. Pretty much the same thing, no? This keeps the battles at a really fast pace and it's more fun IMO.

Seamadan and Rydis, I'm curious how far you are into the game? You could say the "real game" starts at around 20 hours.

On another note, I'm at this ridiculous boss that I can't even dent before he ramps up his attacks and destroys me... and that's after I leveled my EQ and CP for two hours right before. >< edit: nm.. got it right after a few tries :)

Last edited:
mmm another final fantasy. never really got into it, FF with guns and future tech (no steam pumk junk) though, possible improvment.

would it kill them to make a new chrono game every 10 or less years?

yeah..the battle system in this is by far the worst I have ever seen. Its basically just mash the A button..comp takes care of the rest. Heal and do again. Back to lost oddysey

I think the battle system is great, one of the best I've used:shrug:

You have the option to not use the autochain, you know. If you just use autochain/heal in the harder battles you're going to be seeing game over a lot. And it's not like the computer is doing everything for you. Anytime I need a spell casted (which I would normally choose myself), for instance , I can go to the correct paradigm and 90% of the time my character will do what I need in that situation. Pretty much the same thing, no? This keeps the battles at a really fast pace and it's more fun IMO.

Seamadan and Rydis, I'm curious how far you are into the game? You could say the "real game" starts at around 20 hours.

On another note, I'm at this ridiculous boss that I can't even dent before he ramps up his attacks and destroys me... and that's after I leveled my EQ and CP for two hours right before. ><

I agree with Mage_X on this...

Rydis, how far did you get? Because "just hit the A or X button till the enemy dies" is pretty much the strategy for the first 15+ hours or so. After that, the monsters become quite a bit harder. They are now healing themselves, Buffing themselves, and de-buffing my characters. I'm having to paradigm shift ever 10 seconds to win some battles.

Honestly, This is one of the most fun battle system's I've seen in an RPG. Sure, It can be frustrating. Especially when they only give you 6 Paradigm slots. But for the most part, It works really well. My team's AI works really well, and usually casts exactly what's needed.

Also, Don't do the "Auto attack" stuff. First off, That's just cheap, and the easy way. and second, Later on, It's the worst choice you could make in a battle.

Played to the first time you get to play the girl in the blue dress with the staff. Have to say, not really a fan so far. This is my first JRPG, so maybe it's not the genre for me (regular RPGs are my favorites, so I kinda figured I'd like this too). The battle system is OK, but the characters are awful. I don't think I've ever played a game where I hoped everyone I control dies at the end, but so far that's what I wish on these goons. Combine that with no real choice in any way (character progression or story) and dialog that is silly at best and ridiculous at worst and well... I guess it's not the game for me.

Welcome to JRPG's. Ya know...actual RPG's. The idea of "regular" RPG's is kinda lost with me, because outside of D&D, JRPG's CREATED the RPG genre in video games. So by that sense, JRPG's *ARE* regular RPG's, and everything else is "Other" types of RPG's. Yes, there were RPG's out on older consoles and PC before games like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were released, but those were the games that really created the genre.

But yeah, A closed story, with no ability to make an impact on your choices or the outcome. Basically, A book with visuals.

Sound like Regular RPG's aren't your style, and you are probably more of a fan of the American RPG's. Different games for different people.

And I'm loving most of the Characters. I still don't really like Hope all that much, but other than him, The characters are done really well in this game. Their stories and personality's are really flushed out.

Yeah im not that far into it, just seems compared to other systems from previous games..this ones just so uninteractive. Im only on chapter too. So far autobattle hasn't done nothing I wouldn't of done choosing myself, aside from cancelling the ATB at 1 slot to kill an enemy instead of filling it up.

Im not going to stop playing it because of it though, I like the games mostly for the story. However when you compare it to the Gambit, Junction or Materia system..you can't say this isn't lacking. Has nothing to do with just having 1 person either..i was pretty content with FF11 battle system ;)

Good to hear it gets a little better though.

Yeah im not that far into it, just seems compared to other systems from previous games..this ones just so uninteractive. Im only on chapter too. So far autobattle hasn't done nothing I wouldn't of done choosing myself, aside from cancelling the ATB at 1 slot to kill an enemy instead of filling it up.

Im not going to stop playing it because of it though, I like the games mostly for the story. However when you compare it to the Gambit, Junction or Materia system..you can't say this isn't lacking. Has nothing to do with just having 1 person either..i was pretty content with FF11 battle system ;)

Good to hear it gets a little better though.

oh yeah, Plus a little later you get the Crystarium. Basically, you gain Crystal points after every battle (CP), then spend the CP on stat boosts, skills, and abilities. Early on, each character is stuck with a limited number of classes they can be. But later on, extra classes unlock, then much later on, any character can be any type....but at a major cost. The cost of learning skills of a class that isn't native to that character ( aka: the class wasn't given to the character via the game itself ), is SIGNIFICANTLY higher. It's insane at the CP cost for some simple stat boosts!

Also, you will eventually be able to level up your equipment as well. Very helpful. Just find a weapon you like ( For lightning, I'm using the Gladius, since it starts with a high base Strength, and low base Magic. That way, as it gains levels, The Strength stat will go up MUCH faster than the magic. Usually double the rate. ( every level usually gives about +6 strength, and +3 Magic. )

But yeah, the game gets much more involved later on. But if you like to use lighting as a Commando, and mainly do physical attacks, Your choices of attacks are very limited. So Lightning's attack pattern won't become more complicated at all. But you will be doing A LOT of paradigm shifts for your other 2 characters. If you have lightning use more magic ( for attacking and healing ), then the combat will become MUCH more involved, and I would imagine, become quite a bit harder as well. Since you only get 6 Paradigm slots. So if you have lightning switch between Ravager and Medic, that leaves you with less options of how the other 2 character's paradigms are set up.

All depends on your play style, and how hard you want to make it. Personally, I *ALWAYS* leave lightning as commando, and have my other two characters each specialize in two classes, Except for vanille, who Specializes in 3 classes. My current setup is this..

-Lightning- - Sazh- -Vanille-
Commando Ravager Ravager
Commando Ravager Saboteur
Commando Ravager Medic
Commando Synergist Ravager
Commando Synergist Saboteur
Commando Synergist Medic

This way, All my bases are covered. And I can shift my paradigm to whatever I need. And in case of monsters that are resistant to physical attacks, Sazh's Synergist class has spells that add elemental damage to my attacks. And the AI always picks the element that the enemy is weak to.

The only flaw with my party is that I don't have any protective spells. No Protect or Shell. But the increased damage from Sazh's Synergist spells "Brave" and "Faith" offsets the lesser defense with offense. Also his Haste skill is INVALUABLE!

Also, you will eventually be able to level up your equipment as well. Very helpful. Just find a weapon you like ( For lightning, I'm using the Gladius, since it starts with a high base Strength, and low base Magic. That way, as it gains levels, The Strength stat will go up MUCH faster than the magic. Usually double the rate. ( every level usually gives about +6 strength, and +3 Magic. )
Same here. What level do you have it at? I morphed mine to the next weapon and leveled it a few more after that.

Also, do you know if its possible to morph accessories to the next type (ie. iron bangle->silver bangle)?

Same here. What level do you have it at? I morphed mine to the next weapon and leveled it a few more after that.

Also, do you know if its possible to morph accessories to the next type (ie. iron bangle->silver bangle)?

My sword is only level 18 at the moment. I'm out of materials, And I'm too cheap to buy any more from the shops. There's an Item in the shop I want, but it's pretty expensive at the moment. So I'll work on upgrading my EQ a little later when I can find a good spot to farm.

Honestly, I don't know if they upgrade to the next type or not. But in all honesty, I would be easier to just buy a Gold bangle ( or whatever one is the best in the shop ) and upgrade that instead.

This is coming for the pc? It'll more than likely be a horrible port. Too bad really, anyone who really likes this game, would love to see how awesome it would look on a PC, when properly optimized.

Back