• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got a compressor, but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

It turns out it is an R12 system.
I ripped it out of a minifridge system (manufactured in 1986) that I found on the side of the road. Kind of interesting about that one actually actually. Turn ed it on, compressor still works.
But it is an R12 system, and I do not have a means of getting R12. Is there any kind of a replacement for R12 that I can (relatively) easily get?
Or should I throw the now junked fridge and compressor back and find something else.

A few more things that I need help with:
*It is a 1/20th horsepower compressor. Is this powerful enough?*It turns out that the piping used in the thing is some miniscule 1mm piping that does not look like it could handle the 235 psi load put on it. Or be able to transfer refrigerant to my expansion chamber fast enough. Will I be able to use larger piping with the system if I use a greater charge and/or radiator?

Thanks all,
Futura

Warlord2

that is one SMALL compressor, Ive been told nothing under a 1/4 hp will take the load. I would prolly find myself a stronger one if I were you....btw you can use propane for a gas.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok if you configure it properly you can get a decent temp with that system youd have to make your condensor huge though. you will be able to get around 0C temps on the cpu with a compressor that size. and you can use propane as a replacment for R-12. the piping can be changed. and you dont need 225 psi only like 180. so in short if you do it right your ok with a 1/20hp compressor. check out my article on oc.com its on the home page its last months winner and system cooling.

aenigma

Well, a 1/20hp is a puny compressor.It may work, but not very good.
Warlord2:Who ever told you that is sniffing glue. ;)

ssjwizard:A bigger condenser wont help anything.In fact it could hurt performance from the pressure drop over the condenser inlet/outlet.Not by much probably.
Average high side pressure is about 150, the 235 he is talking about is probably test pressure.

Keep the compressor, junk the fridge.Might as well try it and see how it works, or use it for something like a video card :)

OP
F

futura2001

So, the compressor will work, but I will not see the full potential of a system using a larger compressor. What I really like about this compressor is that it is nearly silent. I can't hear anything unless I put my ear right up to it. Which would be a vast improvement over my twin delta system I have right now!
I have found a few replacements for R12, and R134A that claim to have even lower boiling points, so i think I will be able to get a can of that.
Hmmm...
Well, I am going to have a fun project ahead of me.
Futura

aenigma

Yeah you can use propane, much lower boiling point than R134a, and its very cheap.
You might as well try that compressor, it may work ok :)

OP
F

futura2001

Okay, I got my expansion chamber almost finished (got to solder on the warning LEDs) and now I am moving on to assembling the system.
What I am thinking of doing is putting the entire system at the bottom of a full tower case, put an insulated cover over that which would block off the lower section, and have two low/med RPM 120 mm silent fans on either side to generate a decent amount of airflow to cool the compressor and condenser.

Now the fridge needed a 90 gram charge (R12) to function, How can I calculate out the size of condenser and expansion chamber for optimal performance on such a system?
Futura

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
it doesnt matter if you get the preasures right. the fridge used 90grams but you can use 1,000 if the system is big enough to hold it at the right preasures.... it realy doesnt matter

OP
F

futura2001

Good. That makes it a lot easier.
Now I just need to calculate out how much freon and the size of condenser I will need to fit a ~200 cubic cm expansion chamber.
I should post pics as I make progress...
Futura
*edit* what are the alternatives to R12 and what are their respective boiling points. I have been googling it all day now, and all the information I have found has been very vague...

Last edited:

Warlord2

propane is almost as good as r22 but a hell lot cheaper. I would start off with that first since you will need to learn how to fill it right(releasing and refilling) and that might take a little effort (did for me).

oh yeah r22 you need a license to get.

OP
F

futura2001

Thank you Very much...
All your help has been very much appreciated,
Looks like I am going to be filling my system with propane to save a few bucks. So far this project has cost me less than my last HSF, lets just hope that I don't fry something when I get the system together and screw it all up.
Well, I am going to have post a schematic of what I am going to be doing soon, so until then...
Futura

Warlord2

by sticking a Schrader Valve on the low side (after the evap) and hooking that up to a fill hose and other end to your refrigerant tank thin just slowly let in gas while the system is running untell you see frost on your evap (my first attempt I frosted up my whole compressor:eek: ) , you also need one of those schrador valves on the high side somewhere so you can let out refrigerant. here is what they look like.

aenigma

High side is not just to let out refrigerant, it is to monitor pressure.Plus you have to fill low side with liquid refrigerant, filling with gas isn't as effecient, and it takes a long time.It can be done though....