• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got the rig watercooled.........Hey Colin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is a quick shot of my setup. The reservoir is on top of the radiator. There is a second 120mm fan outside the case that you don’t see. It draws air through the radiator. I have to get a plenum built for the fan pushing air into the radiator. That hose winding towards the front of the case with the funning looking foam end is a valve. It lets the air out of the system for priming the pump and makes draining the system real easy.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=42036810[/URL]"]

You may notice it took for tries to get the photo right. Doh!

Hey Colin,
Did ya ever take your temps on the system without the 2nd 120mm fan on the radiator? I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to get it a little cooler. I want to eventually figure out a voltage mod for this MSI pro2a mobo so I can clock it a little higher.

NUTNDUN (Feb 25, 2001 06:45 p.m.):
Hey Jeff,
How much antifreeze do you have mixed with yours?
I looks like I have a lot in the photo, but not that much. Here is my mix, it works good.

1 part anti-freeze
5 parts distilled water
6 parts alcohol (I've found alcohol to work better than water wetter in all my testes, if it were cheaper I'd use it straight)

Colin-
Whats with the massive pump? 550GPH! I've only got a 75GPH (actually pumps around 40GPH) and it is almost big enough. I thought that the 200GPH (acctually pumps 200GPH@2') model from Leufken was over kill, but 550GPH! Nice looking rig though.

The second fan is good for about two degrees when the CPU is maxed out. Usually I keep both fans running at a low RPM. The turbulence it causes has to be a problem, hence the plenum chamber comment in my earlier post. I have a pelt on the way and it gets plenty hot here in the summer. If we use just the swamp cooler (cheap!) it can hit 85 F. I suspect this is where the extra fan may help, but only once I build the plenum to smooth out the airflow.

As far as the big pump goes, it’s rated for ½ inch fittings. The smallest ID in most H2O systems is ¼ inch. This cuts the pumps output by a factor of four. In my case, about 137 GPH. Then we have to take into account that every turn in the system also takes its toll on the flow. In my system that’s three 90 degree barbed fittings plus all of the 180 bends in the Amazing block and Cooling Cube. My guess is the system probably does somewhere around 100 GPH. I should start looking for a flow meter to get real number. Also the DangerDen gear can support a high flow. Reality is my temps dropped three degrees when I went from a 133 GPH @ 2 ft Rio 800 (160 GPH @ 1 ft Leufken style ratings) to my current pump. Restricting the current pumps flow causes temps to rise.

Wow, I never thought about that turning you pc into a battery! I havent had any experience in water cooling but thought about trying it a few times. Alot of the systems I have seen were running aluminum tanks, But I believe they were using aluminum water blocks as well.

Do you guys know of this happening to anyone? and what exactly would it do?

Nut: Yes my system seems reversed but thats because I flipped the picture around via photoshop. If you look at the raid chip its backwards hehehe.
Collin: Yes that the new prototype hold clip from DangerDen. After there orignal clamp broke one of the tabs on my motherboard (KT7Raid) they where cool enough to send me that prototype, 2 old style holddowns, and a triangle type wedge which I didnt use. I have thought of going to a metal tank, but the glass jar takes forever to reach heat equilibrium so I am happy. Once I get my hands on a new Server Case I will switch to a true radiator. The copper coils I built work great but I am thinking that the Danger Den cooling cube would be better. Even so with Florida temps in the 80's (and this is winter) I think I am doing ok with base 24C idle and 32C load temps. Now to figure out whats causing strange lines and wierd lockups...............

Back