• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally. My new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

This is going to be my all around surfing, gaming, and everything else rig. That will include TV tuner, DVR, and music server. I didn't want another AMD card, but for my 1080p display the RX 480 looks to be the sweet spot for the games I play and not spending a fortune on a card that uses half it's ability. The RAM is on the QVL for the mobo and I figure 16 GB will hold for a while. I'm not for sure on the AIO cooling on the list. The PSU calculator said 539 watts with no OC on anything, so I picked 650 watts and the best one I could come up with. People who have read my posts in certain OS threads will be shocked at my choice of OS but the new tuner card comes with software so I don't need Media Center and I can castrate the data mining aspects of W10. I will have a valid W7 product key in case M$ screws up down the road...LOL

I'd prefer a custom water loop to match the color scheme, but I'm not sure I'll need it for the average OC on those chips. I think I picked good quality parts and they should work together. Should be ordering around Tuesday. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

That's odd. I just clicked on the link and it popped right up. I'll screen shot it. One moment, please. :) I'm trying to decide whether or not to come up with some red trim for the case to go with the mobo and RAM

new build.PNG

Last edited:
Looks good.

A couple of things I'd change:
- As you are looking for an AIO, why not the Swiftech H240X? Expandable and better perf than the Nepton. I have used both, and I can assure you the Swiftech is a better choice for 10 quids more.
- I'd wait for AIB 480X's in a few weeks: better cooling and certainly better VRM section.

Wasn't there an issue with the new AMD GPU's in that they were drawing more from the PCI-E then supposed ? thought i saw that in the 480 threads somewhere. Also you might wanna check out the link below, according to UserBenchmark these toshiba drives are among some of the fastest in its class range and the price is darn nice for 3TB/4TB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KM...lid=1T4K99F9KLCTI&coliid=I39CEFL1A6DTX3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KM...lid=1T4K99F9KLCTI&coliid=I39CEFL1A6DTX3&psc=1

The AIO and the graphics cards are filling space and giving me an idea of cost (I hope). There aren't any RX 480s available at the moment and I picked the highest cost AIO I found. I'd be happier with a custom loop but I haven't worked out the cost on that yet. I wasn't so much looking for an AIO as avoiding an air cooler. I'll probably end up with a R9 380 to fill space until the new card thing settles down. All I'm going to use the HDD for is storage and back up, so I wasn't worried about speed. My OS and games should fit on the Samsung, my videos, music, and pictures don't need speed. I use lossless music files, so they take up more room. I have 43+ GBs of music ATM. I'm actually happy that the first two questions were on stuff that is iffy anyway. The core components were chosen with care.

Erm, Why do you need a DVD drive?
Maybe just take the DVD drive from your current PC if your daughter (Im not sure it was your daughter you wanted to give your PC to) dont need it?

The computer will be using her TV as a display and TV tuner so the ODD is a convenient DVD player, as well CD player. I ordered everything else tonight, except the ODD. I want a Blu Ray drive because I'm in the same situation as my daughter. Our rigs are HTPCs as well as all around units. I just didn't feel like hunting for one that actually comes with the software tonight. This is what I ordered, other than getting a Vision TEK RX 480 from Dell. The AIO is temporary, and yes the red fans were a factor. LOL Oops. Almost forgot I ordered a new TV tuner card as well from Hauppauge.
final build.PNG

Back